TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Pan (Road Race)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 2:55pm
Here is a mock up on my engine stand.  ARH headers, canton RR pan.  I wanted to get a milodon because they are 1" shorter than the canton, but they are out of stock for a while and I'm trying to get my engine in this year.

The yellow tape has about 1/2" clearance to the pan (the headers are lower than the pan).  Just another point of reference.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
javamx1970 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javamx1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 6:20pm
That’s a serious looking pan. As far as the swinging pickup, did you start with something that you modified? Milodon has a swinging pickup for their deep pan...I had that on my AMX back in the day. It’s kinda tough searching something out from a catalog or online without actually touching it and seeing it. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javamx1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 6:22pm
Aside from the 1” shorter, do you know of any other benefits from the Milodon RR pan?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by javamx1970 javamx1970 wrote:

Aside from the 1” shorter, do you know of any other benefits from the Milodon RR pan?

I was just looking for a wet sump pan with increased capacity and wanted to have ground clearance.  My car is going to be a fun street car, not intending any serious racing.  I had the canton pan in hand but ordered a Milodon in June.  The delivery went from August to september to october and now its end of december.  So I cancelled my order and installed the canton pan.

Mike

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 6:57pm
Sharp front edge on the Canton pan. These are easy enough to fabricate yourself but I know off roaders and drag racers use them to deflect anything that may pierce the pan, example only:
Just for consideration.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javamx1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 8:59pm
Beautiful set of headers. What is that threaded port in front of the collector for?
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 10:02pm
O2 sensor for air fuel ratio gauge or EFI. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javamx1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 10:55pm
Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on that...I know about an O2 sensor...how is that incorporated into the ignition/fuel mixture of an early AMC?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2021 at 3:07am
O2 sensor would only be used if you are using EFI, or if you wanted to install a sensor for tuning your carb or monitoring how the engine is tuned. If you don’t want to use the ports you just plug them. 

I’m running EFI on my setup. Eventually!

Mike

Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 8:01pm
Armandos Oil Pans builds AMC pans and can modify it if you want. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic