TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Filters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue-MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Filters
    Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 1:26pm
What is the best oil filter for a modified 401 engine, including the race filters? Can't seem to find any at the auto parts store.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 2:25pm
Swap out the threaded piece in the adapter from the 13/16 to the Ford/Jeep 3/4 and you'll have an easier time sourcing filters.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 3:05pm
This is a thread from a while back but may be helpful.  I use K&N filters which are not listed but I think you will find good information in general, maybe not for racing:

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 9:15pm
Baldwin B9 for big filter, Baldwin B39 for short Wix 51258 / NAPA 1258
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 12:26pm
The Baldwin filters are probably the best oil filters I have ever used.
The Hastings brand is owned by the same parent company, and reportedly are identical. However, I haven't torn one apart yet to confirm or deny.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 2:11pm
Baldwin B9 as they have the anti drain back valve in them.

Without it, during initial startup, the pumps filling the canister, not filling the bearings, Big smile
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 3:09pm
The K&N also has a drain back valve.

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 3:45pm
The Wix 51258 has a good anti drain back valve also. I believe were going in circles on personal preferences, cost and availability. No one sells Baldwin filters near me.
I can get them off Amazon for almost 5x the cost of the Wix in CA dollars.
There would have to be some compelling technical information posted on why any one of these filters is better then the other to make a switch. 
AlexK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The Wix 51258 has a good anti drain back valve also. I believe were going in circles on personal preferences, cost and availability. No one sells Baldwin filters near me.
I can get them off Amazon for almost 5x the cost of the Wix in CA dollars.
There would have to be some compelling technical information posted on why any one of these filters is better then the other to make a switch. 

Interesting.. looks like as there are others who have especially with the anti drain back valve of the Wix 51258 filter trouble..  me included.. AC-Delco PF24 solved the problem on my engine.

https://theamcforum.com/forum/which-oil-filter_topic47263_page2.html

Edited by AlexK - Jul/20/2021 at 4:21pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 4:32pm
I've never had issues with the Wix, but for under $10 I can get the Hastings/Baldwin LF212 (alternate  number for the B9) from Rock Auto. Maybe pick up a couple of these next time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic