TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OH 196 OHV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OH 196 OHV
    Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 11:41am
Old fellow east end of Calgary wants $200 for shop overhauled engine sitting on his garage floor for many years. PM me and I'll pass on his info. I'm tying to save this one from going to recycling. If this is deemed an ad then so be it and remove it.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 7:50pm
Nice offer!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 8:50pm
New timing sets are going for $200. If it's rebuilt and not rusted solid from sitting it's certainly worth keeping. Too bad for me I'm so far away.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Japa109 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japa109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2021 at 6:30pm
at $100 US It would be worth it to Fastenal it.  I can give him that.  Fastenal is supposed to reopen into Canada this month
Japa 109
1963 American 2 dr wagon OHV-2V OD
1962 American 400 4 door OHV-2V Auto AC PS PDB
Saskatoonsk View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskatoonsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 8:58pm
I would be interested in the OH 196 OHV is there anyway I could contact him ??

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 10:04pm
I sent you his number. He still has it. The guy is over 80 years old and they want to run a highway through his place.
Maybe the engine will go back home to Saskatoon where it was overhauled at Western rebuilders, apparently a big outfit back in the day.

Edited by vinny - Apr/27/2021 at 10:14pm
Saskatoonsk View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskatoonsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 11:49pm
Vinny a Big thanks for your help !  I find it a bit ironic were the motor was rebuilt as I worked for Western Automotive Rebuilders 45 years ago . If all works out it will come back to Saskatoon.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 12:45am
I think you will need to confirm that it fits your car. Didn't motor mounts change over the years? 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 6:47am
Early 196s won't have the mounting bosses for a 63+ Classic/64+ American. You can bolt a late 196 in an earlier car, but would have to build some kind of mounts to put an early block in a later car. The main issue is the right (passenger) side mounts. On the left side the late mount bolts to the oil pan rail -- I don't recall if the holes are different or not, may have to drill holes.
Frank Swygert
Guitar Nigel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 5:20pm
Can engines be shipped from Canada to So California very easily? Anyone know?
If you don't take a chance, you never had a chance!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic