TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Non annoying muffler choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2023 at 11:41am
Originally posted by BDCVG BDCVG wrote:

... The science of exhaust sound and how mufflers bounce sound waves around and affect flow make most calculus teachers cringe.

I'll agree to that. I have a 318 V-8 Valiant. Two stock cast iron manifolds combined into a 3" pipe with a three chamber (50 series) Flowmaster. The D-R-O-N-E from 1,900-2,600 RPM was utterly unbearable. The drone didn't blend in gradually, it came and went IMMEDIATELY. The military could have used the results for sonic warfare. Using what I had on hand I switched to a 2-1/4" pipe and a Raptor (turbo style) muffler. That only somewhat toned down the drone.

The cast manifolds, the blending the two into one pipe thus the quieting pulse effect of an H or X pipe,  reducing the pipe from 3" to 2-1/4" and swapping the Flowmaster for a Turbo style muffler should have all contributed to avoiding if not significantly dealing with the drone. Yet it made only a marginal difference. The cam (Edelbrock Performer clone) in that motor has  58 degree overlap. I often wonder if that is a contributor to the droning???
'63 American Hardtop
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 8:54am
This has been a really good thread I started, gathering lots of info and opinions.
 Why is longer better farna? 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jan/12/2023 at 8:58am
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 9:59am
That is pretty easy from a design point of view. Think trumpet vs tuba in length vs pitch.
You want lower frequency sound, longer in almost all cases will provide it.
It takes a lot more work to get a lower frequency out of a short muffler without having to restrict flow with multiple chamber passes to get the same relative tube length in a smaller case.
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 10:28am
I truly hate loud drone, I put a jegs cat back mustang kit with mandrel 2 1/2 tube and it is louder than I would like. I don't like the sound of any stainless exhaust so it's just alumanized steel. I just pulled down front x pipe and put 12" glass packs in ahead of x to see if it quiets it down any. 

390 with free flow manifolds, 2 1/2" full mandrel bend pipe and x pipe all the way out tailpipes.

If this doesn't cure the drone i will just swap mufflers...they were stated as turbo style in the jegs kit..
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 11:24am
Typically the only reason SS will sound a little "tinny" vs CS is because it's made from thinner gauge material, all else being equal.
The problem with 68-70 AMX/Javelin with 2-1/2" pipes is that you can only fit a 14"x9" muffler if put in the stock location. Short muffler, "tinny" sound and more drone.
Add to that, an X pipe will sound "tinny" vs an H pipe.
I have the same on my car, changed to turbo from glass pack mufflers and reduced the drone by half, but the next thing would be to put a resonators in front of the X pipes.
Wish I had done the H pipe - live and learn!
IMO, the Walker Quiet Flow SS muffler is one of the best for sound, Flowmaster 50 next. Too bad neither comes in an offset 14"x9" - 2-1/2". 

dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Typically the only reason SS will sound a little "tinny" vs CS is because it's made from thinner gauge material, all else being equal.
The problem with 68-70 AMX/Javelin with 2-1/2" pipes is that you can only fit a 14"x9" muffler if put in the stock location. Short muffler, "tinny" sound and more drone.
Add to that, an X pipe will sound "tinny" vs an H pipe.
I have the same on my car, changed to turbo from glass pack mufflers and reduced the drone by half, but the next thing would be to put a resonators in front of the X pipes.
Wish I had done the H pipe - live and learn!
IMO, the Walker Quiet Flow SS muffler is one of the best for sound, Flowmaster 50 next. Too bad neither comes in an offset 14"x9" - 2-1/2". 

Yeah i'm hoping that adding 12" glass packs ahead of X sort of a resonator squashes it enough. Never cared for the high performance dynomax or flowmasters...I drive my car daily and would want to shoot myself listening to that crap daily
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 5:41pm
H pipe and magnaflows on my AMX, duals with magnaflows on the cop car with no H pipe. The cop car has a nice burble at idle and driving but is pretty loud and barks when full throttle compared to the AMX.

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 10:03am
Walker Quiet Flow in the biggest case size that fits. SoundFX if you want a bit of volume to it. 
70Xcode View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Xcode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 9:01pm
I use tractor supply tractor mufflers if what you want is cheap and quiet 
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 10:12pm
Yeah, if you put the wrong muffler on a six cylinder it can make your car sound terrible!  

A couple of years ago I replaced the muffler in my daily driver 4.0L Jeep XJ with an AP Exhaust Products muffler. May be different to your needs, but the part number I purchased was #700045 and cost $42.00 on Amazon. It's still on the Jeep and still sounds great. 

Dennis   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic