TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Non annoying muffler choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non annoying muffler choices
    Posted: Jan/07/2023 at 5:15pm
This morning I was thinking of which type of muff to choose that's got the muscle car sound but that's not too hard on people's ears, I watched a guy with his car make a horrible racket with his high burst of rpms coming out of his muffler and thought he should extend his tail pipe, wrap it around the side of his car and have it stick into his driver's side window and have the end of it pointed at his head so he could think "ohhhh, this is what it sounds like to everybody else and also people sitting at a bus stop....."
So I'd like to avoid harming people's hearing with a muffler choice and wanted to ask the forum what in their exp they know to be a good muffler to choose, one that's got a nice sound, but not way too much noise.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jan/07/2023 at 5:17pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2023 at 5:51pm
I would say a stock muffler. Maybe put bigger pipe on it but keep it in the stock configuration.   I have a 6 cylinder Gremlin, and it has one of those "turbo" mufflers on the stock pipes.  Id rather have a stock muffler on it. Its not loud.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2023 at 5:57pm
This video may help you decide on design, not stating this is the best manufacturer. Not a six, but good representation of sound levels with different designs:
IMO, don't like working on rusty old exhaust systems and SS systems have gone down in price.
Also not a fan of glass pack mufflers. Had an engine flood once and once started, the glass pack mufflers droned badly afterwards. The manufacturer stated that the glass packs had collapsed due to the flooding and there was no warranty. 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 2:22am
Inline sixes are smooth and quiet in their exhaust sound. They aren't very loud, even straight-piped. They don't make the chug, lope, or rumble of a V8. They make a smooth humming sound. I love that sound. 

...but you aren't going to fool anybody no matter how loud you make it. It's not going to sound like anything fast. It'll just sound like varying volumes of old farm tractor. 

Plus, loud cars are supposed to be fast cars. Being loud but slow just makes you annoying. 

My sixes get stock mufflers. It gives them a nice, smooth tone that is only heard by people standing nearby when I accelerate. It's not at all loud...just barely audible...but it's a nice sound. 

Edited by FSJunkie - Jan/08/2023 at 2:24am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 8:47am
My Jeep has a 258 in it with a split header. I used one of these mufflers and ran two into one and then one out the back.  2.5”.  Sounds like $1 million. 

Deep note at idle.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 9:58am
Jim's muffler logic:

Life is short, but it's not short enough to buy aluminized mufflers.
don't look at anything that's not stainless steel.

There are still some USA made mufflers,
I put stainless steel USA made mufflers at the top of my list.
Sometimes they're not even much more money (unless I'm looking for a $20 muffler to bash on rocks)

Do I want it loud?
Short stainless USA mufflers that have chambers, little to no packing. Some designs drone more than others if that's something you want to avoid

Do I want it quiet?
Long stainless USA mufflers that are packed with insulation.
Turbo style.
Some muffler designs are whisper quiet, others raspy when you get on it.

Do I want somewhere in between?
Short turbo or a long chamber style in stainless.

Last point:
Some mufflers sound great on a V8, and terrible on an L6,
your best bet is to find a similar engine that you like the sound of and ask what they're running.

I ran an extra long Dynomax turbo muffler in my last 4.0L daily driver, it was mellow and quiet,
my son runs a Gibson MWA on his 4.0L daily driver,
it's twice as loud, but I know when he goes out and comes home, so that works for me Cool

My trail truck runs a cheap flowmaster knock off,
it's tinny and loud and sounds like you'd think a cheap flowmaster knock off would, but it makes a great skid plate.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 2:37pm
 Cherry bomb the nicest 
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by amx007 amx007 wrote:

Cherry bomb the nicest 
those are not quiet.  
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 6:45pm
There are no muscle car sounding mufflers for the inline. The 6 will never resemble an 8. It will sound more like a wounded cow.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 7:08pm
Exhaust sound is very personal. You will get lots of answers that don't work for you. I always suggest listening to local cars for the sound you like, and then asking the owner what they have.

In your case, finding a 6 cyl with custom exhaust is more difficult. If you find noisy exhaust annoying, then go with a stock sounding muffler as already suggested. Once the car is on the road, if you want more exhaust sound, deal with it then.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic