TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No Rocker Arm Oiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostcause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Rocker Arm Oiling
    Posted: Aug/23/2021 at 12:55pm
When I went to adjust the valves on my 1964 American 196 (has 65 engine) I noticed, with the engine idling, only about half the rockers had oil coming out of the holes and the rest were dry. The engine was rebuilt 9K ago by someone else. I disassembled the rocker shaft and found half of all the oiling holes plugged and the rest restricted. Luckily there was not a lot of wear. My guess is during the rebuild the rockers and shaft were not cleaned. I had to use a drill bit to clean the crud out of the rocker holes. After reassembly there was a fair amount of oiling but no oil flying around. My question: is there a modification needed to get more oiling up there or is this oil flow normal for these engines? Looks like oil is supplied to the head via an external oil line. Guess maybe I should check that too.  Hot oil pressure at idle= 40psi. 
norwegianrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2021 at 1:48pm
I think the mid bolt on the rockerarm is supposed to be a hollow bolt it should be a hole down to the motor itself where oil gets up to the rockerarm. It might be the wrong bolt or perhaps a half clogged hole.
1961 Rambler Classic Crosscountry
lostcause View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostcause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2021 at 2:20pm
Well I may have found my answer by reading the service manual, imagine that! It states: "Intermittent lubrication to the valve train is controlled by metering the flow by volume through the front cam bearing." From there it goes through the outside oil line to the front rocker stand. 

Having said all that if anyone has one of these engines I'd recommend pulling the valve cover and checking for lubrication to head off any wear. May as well adjust the valves while you're at it.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2021 at 1:10am
Shaft-mounted rockers that oil through the center of the shaft were really common prior to the 1960's. The shafts work as sludge traps, especially on neglected engines or engines that sat for decades. Making sure those shafts stay clear is essential. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2021 at 11:03am
And, as I found out when buying 196 OHV cam bearings ((Michigan 935-CS) only the 63, 64, 65 camshafts do this metering. They also take different cam bearings. At typical Ebay pricing they are close to double the cost. The front bearing has three oiling holes and they need to be aligned properly on installation.  The camshaft itself has a notch on the timing gear face that meters the oil flow in an obvious on/off fashion (see illustration below).

So, if AMC saw fit to (eventually) meter the oil flow it seems there should be a limited amount of oil flowing to the rockers. The oil going to some of the rockers (in your case) is another matter.

Image from Tom J's site.

Edited by wittsend - Aug/24/2021 at 12:34pm
'63 American Hardtop
lostcause View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostcause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2021 at 9:26am
I would be real tempted to feed the rocker shaft directly from the main oil galley. It would be fairly easy to do. Even with the rocker shaft and rocker arms cleaned there is minimum oiling up there as is. I would check oil pressure and check the rocker shaft oiling before and after the switch.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2021 at 12:32am
I just built a 65 motor and yeah, you really need to make sure that the cam bearing has the holes and that they're aligned. And the amount of oil to the top end, at idle, is alarming, if you're used to seeing the flood a full-main-gallery feed produces! It looks almost dry. I assume AMC knew what they were doing when they reduced the flow. It would be easy enough to move the source from the port to the main gallery (and plug that hole).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2021 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

...  It would be easy enough to move the source from the port to the main gallery (and plug that hole).

More work but I'd assume one could grind the cam face to increase the time interval when the oil feeds the passage. Just need to be careful the gear didn't get wobbly by taking too much metal. Just an idea for thought more than a solution.

'63 American Hardtop
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2021 at 10:30pm
But why? The reduced oil is GOOD. My roadster runs full oil to the top end, and it's a flood. 

And it's a slot, narrow and deep, milled into the cam before hardening. 

AMC made a number of incremental mods to the engine, and as far as I can tell all of them were good.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 1:22pm
I just adjusted the valves on my new 195.6 OHV, a 1965 model with the reduced top-end oil. It's plenty of oil. I can't upload videos here, and I haven't put it on my website, but at 600 rpm it's still a decent flow. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic