TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No brake fluid to the rear brakes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 8:51pm
When you had your booster off, did you happen to confirm that the lever system was free and moves easily?  I believe there are spacers between the booster and mounting bracket, I can check in the morning. 

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 9:54pm
I believe your problem is still the relationship between the booster rod and MC.  You need to measure how far the rod protrudes from the booster and then how far into the MC it can go with something like this
There needs to be some slack there, check the TSM.
You should also compare the shape of the rod end and the shape of the indentation it fits into to make sure they are the same.  Maybe use some type of marking grease like they use on pinion to ring gear matching.
Bill O.
70 AMX
timj5130@gmail.com View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 1:37pm

Thanks Mike.
 Cany ou send a photo if you fins spacers on your AMX?
Thank You
Tim
Tim Johnson
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 1:54pm
The spacers are about 5/8” thick, using a tape measure. 

Mike

about 5

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 1:58pm
 Thank you for this photo!
 I think I have these in my garage. I took the car apart about 3 years ago to do the rotisseri thing. This would make sense in reguard to the brake pedal feeling so high when I press on it.
 Ill go out yhere now find them and install.
 Thanks again!
Tim
Tim Johnson
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 5:52pm

I now have brakes!
 My thanks to all of you who posted your thoughts and suggestions. All good based on the info I had provided.
My thanks to Mike here for sending me the photo that helped me resolve the issue.

So it never was ANY of the proportioning or distribution valves -front ot back.

It was the fact that I didnt install the spacers inbetween the firewall bracket and the Master cyclinder. (My only defense was that I took it apart over 3 years ago and forgot about them!-Dumb on my part!)
 Tha is why there was almost no travel in the brake pedal.

After installing the spacers, -instant brake fluid to the rear! I suspect without the spacers the pushrod didnt enguage the piston sleeve- slider in the front reseviour that fills the line to the rear.

Anyway, my son came over and pumbed the brakes as I blead them.
 Now I have all sorts of brake fluid at the back and front. See Mikes phoito in this trail to view the spacers behind the Booster.

My thanks to all who commented trying to help. This is such a great forum!
 Sheepishly embarrased, but good lessons learned!
 Tim Johnson
Tim Johnson
69hemibeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69hemibeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 12:41pm
I have the same car same issue with spacers and rebuilt the block below the heater so I will be following the suggestions made in the thread. Thanks
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 1:05pm

Well on mine, as soon as I added the 5/8 inch spacers the problem was solved.
 Hope this works for you.
 Tim
Tim Johnson
68AMXJoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68AMXJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 6:34pm
I have a 68 AMX with the same problem also watching the post.
69hemibeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69hemibeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2023 at 7:35am
OK so it appears I got the switch to work an still no flow beyond the proportioning valve near the rear so thats coming apart next
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic