TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New top rated oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New top rated oil
    Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 12:14pm
Recent update to his list and information shows Quaker state 5w30 full synthetic as the new top rated oil for wear protection, need no other additives for engine or break in.

The “WEAR PROTECTION RANKING LIST” itself, begins here:

1. 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” (abbreviated QSFS), dexos 1 Gen 2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 152,674 psi
And that psi value sets a WHOPPING NEW ALL-TIME RECORD for motor oils that I have put through my Engineering Torture Test on motor oil. It was tested in Spring 2021.
This new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil replaces the previous 5W30 Quaker State “Ultimate Durability” (abbreviated QSUD) synthetic.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
The psi value of this new oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the SPECTACULAR Wear Protection Category. However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, most hotter and thinner oils typically experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, this oil produced an extremely impressive 148,133 psi, which was only a small 3% drop in capability. And that value put this much hotter and thinner oil in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category.

71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 2:50pm
That is what I use in my 'normal cars'.  I'm trusting my engine builder (and total seal) and breaking in my 390 with mineral oil, valvoline VR1.  After break in, I'll switch to QS.

But its hard to argue with the test results for a $20 jug at walmart.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 3:03pm
So it's good for flat tappet? 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 3:06pm
The guy that has the oil blog has a test that measures the oil’s film strength. According to his testing, this oil would protect the lifters in a flat tappet engine. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Better then any additive including zddp, which he never recommends.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 5:33pm
Not convinced it's the right product for older engines.  At the very least I'm not a fan of full synthetic in older engines just from the leak perspective.  
they call me Capt RETIRED!
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Better then any additive including zddp, which he never recommends.

Thanks. 

Anyone see where Mystik lands on the list? I scrolled through 200 and didn't seem it... Might be so low it's not good. It's all I've ever used. 😳
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Not convinced it's the right product for older engines.  At the very least I'm not a fan of full synthetic in older engines just from the leak perspective.  

The guy that tests, has always recommended the formulations for high milage engines. Yes film strength has an impact. His list is extensive and has a big write up on his reasoning and knowlege and experience with testing. His results have a mix, of supriser oils and the commonly known best brands. You can take his info as you like, nobody is pulling your arm. I used a recommended oil, a Castrol Edge full synthtic Euro formula, in our 2009 Honda. Even though some here state the overhead cam design is less crucial, there is one aspect over looked in why its critical. Honda from 2008 to 2011 used an unusual design with the cam lobe and lifer arms with VCM engines. It used pin engagment which is actuated by oil pressure. A number of VCM v6 engines had issues with engagment causing loud mechanical sounds from the valve train. I noticed some sounds during start up which was normal from lower oil pressure during start. Once I started using the Euro formula the mechanical sound went away. Many of the actuator failures were from pin stickage. A lot of pressure is exerted for engagment, which allows more wear than expected. Honda moved the oil requirements to full synthetic, along with lowering vicosity, almost 2 years after initial release of VCM. The oil upgrade never effected the sound of the a actuation during startup, until later when using Euro formula. Any way thats my 2 cents on seeing any improvements with his recommendations.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 10:59pm
He says don't use break in oil? Guess I'm glad I read this now and sad I spent extra $$$ on Joe Gibbs oil for my pending first-time start up....
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 9:37am
By nature, a break-in oil must allow friction, to wear in the parts, right? Then remove and run regular oil to eliminate wear? His data says to run good high psi oil from the very start and not use break-in procedure.

Edited by 73hornut - Sep/21/2021 at 9:39am
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic