TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New owner of a 68Javelin-Mod questions Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New owner of a 68Javelin-Mod questions Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleChia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner of a 68Javelin-Mod questions Maintenance
    Posted: May/04/2021 at 9:28pm
Hello guys. My names Kyle. Let me start off by saying I am pretty new to car building in general. I've always wanted a project car to work on since I was like 12 and I recently was able to pick up my Grandfather's 1968 Javelin 290 auto. This will be the first car that I plan to do extensive work to. I just want to start by asking about Horsepower gains that I could realistically see achieving with a 290 engine. Id like to get her to something around 300-350. I plan to have her for a long time so I wanna get her to those kinds of numbers eventually. Willing to save and wait. The car has been sitting for quite a while, around 6-8 years or so, in storage for part of that. I believe she is mostly stock. I'd also like some suggestions on what kinds of maintenance and upgrades I can do to keep her in shape. Anyways I appreciate anyone who takes a peek and has any advice on how to care for such a beautiful car. Thumbs Up

Edited by KyleChia - May/04/2021 at 9:53pm
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 9:46pm
Aside from a torquestorm, the horsepower you're looking for is not easily attainable. Then there's the trans
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 9:51pm
standard or auto?
KyleChia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleChia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 9:53pm
Oh okay, your saying I could have a pretty torquey ride but those numbers are pretty out there. That's understandable. Then I guess my question is more or less how much could I attain realistically. My main goal is to have a fun to drive loud kickass ride. 

Edited by KyleChia - May/04/2021 at 10:00pm
KyleChia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleChia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 9:54pm
Oh shoot forgot to put that part in there. Unfortunately it is an automatic. Wishing it was a manual though but beggers can't be choosers I guess. Lol
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 10:09pm
Auto makes it tougher to do. Do you plan to upgrade the transmission? 300hp is really not all that hard to do on a 290 if it is a sound engine to begin with. If you are rebuilding it will be easier to do. Really need a few more details as in are you going to rebuild it or just upgrade what you already have in the car. Also transmission is a biggie. 
KyleChia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleChia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 10:20pm
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a rebuild and upgrade parts, if a transmission swap is something that would need to be added to the list then that's what I'd eventually like to do. You will have to forgive me, this will be my 1st car project. Good to hear that 300hp is an achievable goal though. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 10:24pm
 Are you looking for a road car or a dual duty street and street light and some drag car?
KyleChia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleChia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 10:42pm
Mostly a street car, not any serious racing. Just lighthearted streetlight duals. Safely of course. Big smile
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:01am
the 290 is a good engine that one has 210 hp it would require a total rebuild and up the compression in the engine you would be farther ahead by getting a 360 out of a jeep or 401 then the trans I would consider them a light duty trans with no high performance support and will not take the abuse of over 300 hp and with the older engine your limited to just that trans or a manual tran .with the 360 you can get a more reliable chryler tran .it is nice you took on the car and it can be lots of fun get it driving enjoy the car fix it up and set your goal as to accumulate the parts for your future good luck on the project .keep a AMC alive one at a time      
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic