TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Brake Line 69 American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Brake Line 69 American
    Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 11:03am
I need a new brake line for a 69 American which runs from the enginer compartment to the rear brakes.  This is a drum brake car.  I have seen this for disc brake cars. 
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott
64 American Convertible 360 5sp
http://www.schwallers.com/AMCpage.htm
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 11:16am
If I were you I would make one. get some 3/16 line at the parts store, some tube nuts and a double flare tool and you're off!

if that isn't up your alley you could get a finelines piece for a sc/rambler and mofidy it to work. I wouldn't put a 'used' steel pbrake line on any car.
AMO Newsletter Editor
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 12:16pm
I can't see why there would be any difference in the hardlines between a regular American and a disk brake car. The flexible hose would be different, on the front because most disc brakes use a banjo fitting, drum brakes don't.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 12:34pm
I don't think there would be any appreciable difference in the rear line on a front drum or disc car. I would go to the parts store and buy a couple of lengths of line that add up to the correct length and a brass connector for between them and bend them to fit.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 12:56pm
The SC/Rambler front-rear brake line is a 2 piece line as it has a break near the back for the disc brake proportioning valve. IIRC there will be 2 different sized fittings here so it wouldn't be real easy to connect the 2 sections with a brass union.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 1:00pm
Inline Tube (http://www.inlinetube.com) has brake line sets for drum brake American's (both in mild and stainless) and they fit perfectly and have the gravel gaurd and anti-rattle tubing in the correct places (I put a set on my 67 wagon last year). That line is a bit of a pain to replace since you have to drop the transmission crossmember but it's not too bad otherwise. Make sure you pay close attention to the lines on the rear axle since they tend to rust out around the spring perches.

You should also replace the brake hose while you're replacing that line. You'll have to order the hose (Inline Tube may even be able to supply it) but it's shared with a bunch of other vehicles so it's not difficult to find.

While you're under there, replace the fuel hose at the gas tank.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Schwalls View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schwalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2007 at 2:04pm
Great Thanks.  I'll call tomorrow to get these on the way.

Scott
Scott
64 American Convertible 360 5sp
http://www.schwallers.com/AMCpage.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic