TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need some AC advice/help EXP VALVE FIXED!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 12:44pm
You already saw the compressor able to hit 150 with the suction closed. what target number were you shooting for that needs another compressor? 
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 12:48pm
I agree with you.  That's why I'm replacing the valve. 
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 12:54pm
Sure sounds like the expansion valve is stuck open. The system depends on that restriction to develop the pressure differential.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 4:05pm
So I came up with a question as I was pulling the expansion valve off.

Does the expansion valve have to be oriented in any particular position. Mine is in upside down, silver flat disc down.  That’s how I had to place the evaporator behind the dash. Would that keep it from working properly?  If it has to be turned over, can I add a U shaped line to move it and turn it right side up, To keep from having to move the evaporator?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 8:08pm
Only flow direction should matter, not rotation. 
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 8:29pm
Got it, Thanks
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 5:43pm
I took my expansion valve to the local Orileys and they brought out 10 different ones to see if they would fit. None of them fit. They all said #6 and #8 male ends but the #8 was too big for my fitting to screw onto. 

I have ordered one from Nostalgic Air. I’m hoping it fits and I don’t have some weird, one off, expansion valve. 
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 6:31pm
Using R-12 or R-134 and does it matter ? Shouldn't the usual AMC vendors have the proper valve ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Using R-12 or R-134 and does it matter ? Shouldn't the usual AMC vendors have the proper valve ?

Well it could be defective, as it is a low cost item, that is a wee bugger to get to if all finished up. As for difference yes there is. But most are happy with original R12 valve. If your doing a whole new kit or upgrade, I suggest obtaining R134 valve if possible to swap out. It does make it cooler, as the system does not cycle as much.

It should cycle once every 2 minutes, but it depends on capacity and tempratures. Between once every minute or two is good. The less cycling the more efficient the system.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 8:42pm
The evap is set up as 134. It is a cheap model and I may be paying for that now. I put the numbers that are on the valve into google and it only came back with a few results, all of them overseas, and only a couple in English
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic