TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need replacement master cylinder for 1962 Rambler
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need replacement master cylinder for 1962 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dobreski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need replacement master cylinder for 1962 Rambler
    Posted: Oct/26/2009 at 1:52pm

HELP

I need a master cylinder for a 1962 Rambler.

What are my best alternatives?

I'm trying not to spend the big money.

Any suggestions or does anyone have one?

Are there upgrades available?

Thanks

Mike 

ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2009 at 2:48pm
Try locally first. Go to NAPA. If it doesn't show up on there computer, tell them to look in the book for the parts number and then have them call their warehouse. They should be able to get it for you. If not go to www.rockauto.com . They usually have or can get any part and for a good price.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2009 at 3:56pm

It's for a Rambler Classic or Ambassador it's a pretty rare beast.  I don't know about the Rambler American in 1962 because I don't have a TSM for that year.  1962 was the first year of the dual master cylinder and AMC used one made by Lockheed.  It has a threaded cover on each chamber of the master cylinder.  I had a 62 classic wagon and finally bought a master cylinder off of Ebay.  I later scrapped the wagon and I think I saved that master cylinder.  If the first poster wants it (and he has a Class or Ambo) he can PM me.  Plan be would be to check the appropriate TSM and find out what the diameter of the master cylinder bores and then check the bolt pattern on the firewall.  A 63 later master cyclinder may work fine.  Joe  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2009 at 4:00pm
You can try Mars auto parts in Bayshore Long Island.They will definatly have i`m not sure about shipping.........
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
oldwood View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2009 at 7:07am

It also depends on if you have  power or manuel brakes. There is a guy that sells a pwr. brake master cyl for a '62 Classic/Ambo on ebay from time to time. I bought one from him and had it rebuilt to a non-power brake master cyl for my '62 Classic S.W. The non-power brake master cyl. is hard to come by. Check the completed listings on ebay and you'll probably find him.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2009 at 11:18am
It's a Wagner master cylinder and hard to get. Americans used the same one. You can adapt a later model Rambler master cylinder. I put a mid 60s MC on my 61, I think it was a 70 Hornet MC. You'll have to replace the hard lines from the junction block to the MC, and may need one or two adapters, but it works just fine. I don't recall filing the holes in the MC to fit, but it's possible that the studs on the firewall are a little closer or further apart. If they are it's only a small amount, nothing a file wouldn't fix. Bore and stroke of the MC are the important issues, and they are the same. 
Frank Swygert
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2010 at 4:35pm
I'm in need of the master cylinder as well.  Does anyone know if the Master Cylinders from 1963 or 64 will work?  Napa only has the rebuild kits.  
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2010 at 5:34pm
The 62 used a Wagner master cylinder with a screw in the center of the cap holding it on, right? You'll only find rebuild kits for those. If the bore is good the rebuild kit is all you need as the seals degrade with time and use. If you want to use a new one a later model Bendix MC will work. You'll have to change the lines between the MC and the junction block, at least on one of them. I forget which it is, but one of the lines has a very large diameter flare nut with a small line. The reason was to prevent swapping the lines. The Wagner MC has a 1" bore, same as the small cars (Hornet/Gremlin etc.). The 64-65 Classic drum brake MC should work also.

I suggest you pull the two wires that connect to the pressure switch under the MC inside the car and make a switch mount for the brake pedal. The replacement pressure switches commonly found in parts stores are poor quality unless things have changed over the last 8-10 years. I've had them fail in as little as three months. If you want to stick with the pressure switch order a high quality unit from Ron Francis Wiring -- that's the only one I'd trust to last. Otherwise all you need is a normally open momentary switch on a sheet metal bracket. Bolt the bracket somewhere under the dash so the switch will be pushed by the brake pedal when depressed and close the contacts. I just use a strip of sheet metal about 3/4" wide and 4-5" long. The sheet metal will "spring" some so you can have it contact the brake pedal well before it's at the end of travel.
Frank Swygert
chris View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2010 at 9:59am
hello mike i have a master cylinder for a 1962 rambler
chris View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2010 at 10:01am
and your right mike they are expensive about 250 dollars buts its an all steel the top of the line parts built inside from what a rambler guy told me over the phone from some part of california.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic