TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

need info on 6 to 8 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need info on 6 to 8 conversion
    Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 12:47pm
working on an 82 spirit was a 6 cyl, im converting to 8. 
assuming the computer wont work with the 8 cylinder, and id like it gone and all the related wiring anyway. is this doable without making a completely new harness ? Im also going with a HEI distributor.
82 Spirit ..258 auto .. for now
79Spirit View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 2:02pm
Very easy with an HEI. I have a DUI HEI in my Spirit and you just need a hot wire from the ignition key and your done. I have another DUI I ran for 20 years and keep it as a spare only because the new one has a built in rev limiter. Only problem with HEI is it is tight against the power steering pump. Im running a manual setup so no issue
mikesramblur View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 8:56am
ok thanks. Also have manwell steering. Any idea what to do with the computer?
79Spirit View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 9:26am
I just unplugged it from the harness and removed it.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 9:27am
It's an Ignition Control Module (ICM) and not a computer. The I6 and V8 used the same module.
Being in Ontario, you may want to consider using the Ford type Duralast distributor that would be original to that V8, An MSD6 box and the MSD connector for the distributor.
PO is they are better.
The other point being that Ontario has gone down the road that Emissions are part of Certification now. You need to be able to convince them that your "modifications" meet the emission standards of the vehicle, if you have not done so already.
The Duralast distributor is original to the year of V8 and will connect to the original ICM. You would also need catalytic converter, EGR and the thermal vacuum controls for distributor and EGR.
A TSM for a 79 AMX would be a great benefit.
Also a new emissions sticker for a 79 AMX V8 for under the hood to replace the one from the I6.
Good luck.
79Spirit View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 4:19pm
You mean you can’t slip the no fun police a 50 to put an emissions sticker on your car up there? Was doing that in philly for many years like every other hot rodder   Ok maybe the OP needs to buy a vacation home here in Florida where we don’t have that revenue racket going on and move the car. No salt on the roads and drive it 365 hassle free
mikesramblur View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 4:32pm
Not sure where your from but the e testing was cancelled a year or two ago. Its already certified.
I had an msd box on my other Spirit, it was nothing but trouble, Wont get another.

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 8:31pm
Yes emissions testing was cancelled for non commercial vehicles in Ontario. But regulations changed for Certification of vehicles:
In this you can read that a passenger vehicle must meet the requirements of NSC Standard 11:
And in this you get the following:
"Requirements Vary- The emission control devices and system required on any particular vehicle will vary based on the vehicle’s date of manufacture. Possible Roadside Violation - In some jurisdictions a vehicle will fail an inspection if the vehicle is not equipped with either a National Emissions Mark (Canada) or U.S. Emissions Control Information Label. If the emission label is not present, advise vehicle owner that the vehicle may violate a roadside inspection requirement based on jurisdictional regulation. Further questions or issues are to be directed to the relevant jurisdictional authorities."

The new training program has 1974 being the year that the emissions label and systems are to be inspected and installed as per year of manufacturer.

As stated, good luck. Right now they are behind and for the most part "allowing" some modifications. When everything goes digital in 2023, what the emissions label for the vehicle states is what has to be installed and working to get a vehicle Certified.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic