TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need help finding my cars history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help finding my cars history
    Posted: May/02/2019 at 10:35am
I am new to AMC cars and I am finding it harder to get information that some other car brands. How can I find the production history of my car? For mustangs, they have "Marti reports", is there something similar for AMC? I would love to know where it was manufactured? (usa, Canada), where the factory was and date it left,  dealership sold to?  I would also love to know how many cars were produced like mine. I have read conflicting numbers online. 
I have a big bad green 1969 Javelin sst 
Thanks in advance for any help. 

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 10:49am
1st of, what year and model (base, sst... etc).

Obtaining a TSM will allow you to decode VIN, Engine tag, and body tag on the door.

VIN number will not be in sequence of build. Body number and build number reflect how many of the body and when the body was built on the assembly line. Though they are not exact to the day. But will give you information as to which part of the assembly line it was built.

The best method to deturmime build date other than the date stamped on the door label... Example, March 1970. You can get even more detailed info from the engine tag. Like most cars were built within a week of the engine assembley. My engine was built in the last part of April, given the delay between final assembly, I assertained my car was built on the last week of April 71.

Also if the car has original doucuments... owners manual, window sticker, or even a build sheet, you can find even more info.

My owners manual has the day my car was sold, the dealer and to whom it was sold. I find it odd to see that my car was sold in Feb 72, almost 2 months short of a year since being built.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Gadgetman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 5:39pm
What is a “TSM” where do you get it?  My 1970 Javelin SST has nothing.  No stickers, no owners manual & anyone that may have know is deceased. Even the tag on the chrome valve cover is missing. I’ve tried just putting my VIN into Google I I got nothing.  All I know is it’s a Frost White 390 automatic SST with leather interior.  I have no idea what else it was built with. I’m dying to learn more, but I don’t even know anyone in my general area that knows anything about Javelins.
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 5:51pm
In AMC speak the "TSM" is the Technical Service Manual. AMC's own book that covers working on every part of the car and all specifications. Print and digital copies can be bought from various sources online.

Look under the seats or in the door panels for copies of the build sheet. It's the piece of paper that was used at the plant to assemble your car to the dealer specified configuration and multiple copies would of been taped to components as they were picked off the line and installed. It can sometimes be found in the headliner or in the dash. Sometimes you find them everywhere and other times it's a scavenger hunt.

Edited by MIPS - Feb/10/2023 at 5:53pm
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 5:51pm
Welcome new guy!
Try Eddie Stakes site Planet Houston http://www.planethoustonamx.com/

He has a production section that may be of help.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by MIPS MIPS wrote:

In AMC speak the "TSM" is the Technical Service Manual. AMC's own book that covers working on every part of the car and all specifications. Print and digital copies can be bought from various sources online.

Look under the seats or in the door panels for copies of the build sheet. It's the piece of paper that was used at the plant to assemble your car to the dealer specified configuration and multiple copies would have been taped to components as they were picked off the line and installed. It can sometimes be found in the headliner or in the dash. Sometimes you find them everywhere and other times it's a scavenger hunt.

Well, the door panels were already removed & the headliner is completely missing, along with the plastic front seat backs.  The back seat was also removed, but there isn’t a build sheet inside. The car is still at another location, so I’ll have to look up under the front seats & dashboard with a mirror another day.  I do have a Technical Service Manual, but it doesn’t really tell me anything I didn’t already know from doing research.

Edited by Gadgetman1 - Feb/10/2023 at 6:23pm
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 8:58pm
Does it have a metal tag on the rear of the driver's door?  You have to open the door to see it.  If so, post the numbers from it up here whenever you can get to where the car is located.

Also, there are numerous date codes that will give you an idea of the production date.  I find the date code on the white labels on the seat belts are usually pretty close to the actual production date.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2023 at 12:27am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Does it have a metal tag on the rear of the driver's door?  You have to open the door to see it.  If so, post the numbers from it up here whenever you can get to where the car is located.

Also, there are numerous date codes that will give you an idea of the production date.  I find the date code on the white labels on the seat belts are usually pretty close to the actual production date.

It does.  I think it’s September 1969.  I know it’s a 1970, I just don’t know what it came with from the factory.  I’ll go over sometime on Saturday.  I can’t post any pics here, because I have to have at least 30 freaking posts.
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2023 at 12:50pm
When you get a chance, post what is stamped on the door tag (riveted to the end of the driver's side door).  A picture is best, but if that can't be done just list the sets of numbers shown.

Should look like this:

NTX Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTX Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2023 at 3:35pm
yes, use the Planet Houston site. Its very good and you can decode just about everything.
If the drivers door is original to the car. (my 69 had been swapped)
68 Javelin SST 343 Auto
68 Javelin SST 290 3sp
69 Javelin Base 343 Auto

all projects
just getting started
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic