TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My SC/Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2023 at 5:07am
Originally posted by LetsFNgo LetsFNgo wrote:

Honestly after thinking about it and looking at everything, I think I’m going to skip the Bulltear 534 plate. I’ll check the end clearance on the pump gears and make sure it’s .006-.007 before I install the gasket, use the Bulltear midplate and factory oil filter housing converted to a bypass oil filter with the factory bypass blocked off. Seems like it’ll negate several steps and possible issues. 

I’ll feed the oil into the block through that factory casting like Performance American Style recommends. 
I'm trying to help you eliminate a problem. Using any plate(bulltear/milodon) between the filter housing and timing cover with an single external pick up line is not going to bring oil into the side of the pump gears like you want. The only way is through the boss in the block.
The way you mentioned originally is the way to go. You eliminate several 90 bends in the oiling path. You just have to use the block to bring oil in and plug the top hole in the block behind the cover. 
If your talking about the wear plate I have never used one and have never needed one. Your just adding another thin gasket and a chance for a problem.
 I cant think of anything useful to me in that PAS book.

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2023 at 7:33pm
I understand that and appreciate it. My plans are to break the engine in using the factory oil filter adapter and after the show in November switch to a remote mount setup and feed the block like was discussed and you explained. 
The ATI damper showed up yesterday so I’ll be dropping it off tomorrow with the flywheel at the machine shop to be balance the crank. 

Spent some time in the garage today looking at the old door panels, I have to pick up some glue tomorrow to glue the vinyl back to the cardboard. 

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have some time to play with the car a bit since I have a day off. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2023 at 4:41pm
Update: disassembled the front brake calipers and began honing out the bores but ran out of honing stones so I’m waiting for new ones. Cleaned out the windshield channel that was full of goo from the last person to install a windshield. 
Also reinstalled the trans side cover that I removed to find out what trans I had, turns out I have what I believe is the original trans to the car. The case dates line up approx. with the build date of the body and it’s the correct 2.20 first gear trans. 

Not a very exciting photo. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 6:22am
I’d like to give a good hearty update, but unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way a little bit. I did some repair work to the pair of Holley 4224’s I bought to get them ready for the crossram, and have been working on putting the interior back together as I found it since MCACN wants the car as-found. Other than getting the quarter windows working I’m doing that. At least I’ll have a good understanding of all the parts inside of a SC/Rambler.

The engine is still at the machine shop. My machinist wasn’t able to neutral balance the crank due to the piston and rod combo so it’ll be externally balanced, not that it’s a big deal. Hopefully the block will be done in the next few weeks and I can put the engine together in the spring. 

On a separate note, I’m looking for a front fender mounted SC/ badge. I have all the other badges that came with the car, however one SC/ is missing. I also have a very rough cut up SC hood for the car, and a scoop. But the metal for the scoop is cut out of the hood I have. So if anyone has a reasonably decent hood for a Scrambler floating around I’d be interested in purchasing it. I’ll post pictures of the hood I have when I have a chance. It’ll make a grown man weep. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2023 at 3:38pm
If anyone has a nice scrambler hood send me a private message. This is what I currently have

LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 10:53am
So a little more information on the history of this particular car,
After speaking with the Brian, who owned the car back in 1985, he was able to find a conversation he had with Bob G on the yellowbullet forum about 10 years ago. 
Bob sold Brian the car, and was able to give me a phone number to contact Bob as he currently builds race cars down in the Carolina’s. 
Bob G did confirm that prior to him painting the car in a copy of the A scheme it was a B scheme car as built. He had named the car Maria Caramella and thinks he bought it around 1973 and owned it until 1985. Bob says he owned more than 400 cars in his life and cannot remember anything about where he bought the car from or it’s history prior to him. 
He also said he kept it for so long because his wife enjoyed driving the car and he ran it at a few drag strips in Long Island where it ran 14.10’s bone stock. 
I’d like to try to track its history down further but unless someone from Long Island remembers a B scheme SC owned by a Bob G I think that’s as far back as I’ll get. 
Bob believes he has photos of the car somewhere and was going to look for them after our phone conversation. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 11:01am
Brian was also able to find a picture of the engine compartment in 85/86 when he swapped carbs on it. Brian also said up until a few years ago he still had the factory valve covers he had swapped with the what-look-to-be edelbrock covers. But unfortunately has since either lost them or tossed them during a move.
seeburg4ever View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeburg4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 3:40pm
Man that looks like a lot of work. Have fun

GrandmasRebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandmasRebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2023 at 7:29pm
I'll stay tuned for your updates. It looks like an awesome project. Enjoy the journey!
TheCanadianAmerican View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCanadianAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2023 at 12:00am
That much rust scares me. Good luck looks like you’re doing a good job so far. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
  Share Topic