TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My first Rambler! '63 Classic Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 11:14am
this look fantastic! I thought I had solved my leak problems....but now see the windshield gasket is leaking. Check yours.

I've had metal drilled from my eye as well...not fun. I also wear safety glasses and a shield when grinding. While pulling my bumper something came behind my glasses....had to have my eye flushed. I think that was worse than the time it was drilled. Its like a contact with a suction cup.

estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 4:21pm
Thanks for the positive comments! The floor couldn't have been done sooner. I was really getting pretty burnt out making patch panels. Today I'm working on smoothing out the dash. I got rid of the unsightly gap someone had torn into the dash in order to mount an 80's shaft style stereo. I also shaved the clock hole too. I'm thinking of mounting the air ride switches in that area.
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 7:28pm
Sounds a lot like what I did.  I kept my clock but mounted my preset switches and air gauge in the hole where the factory radio buttons were.
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
1965 Rambler Marlin - Parts
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 CCLB
estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 7:37pm
Here's the dash so far. I'm trying to find a brown metallic base coat in a touchup can with no luck. It will be the base for the bass boat rootbeer flake that's going on the dash.

And a shot of the repaired quarter panel rust. Theres still a few pinholes that I need to address as well

estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Rocknthehawk Rocknthehawk wrote:

this look fantastic! I thought I had solved my leak problems....but now see the windshield gasket is leaking. Check yours.I've had metal drilled from my eye as well...not fun. I also wear safety glasses and a shield when grinding. While pulling my bumper something came behind my glasses....had to have my eye flushed. I think that was worse than the time it was drilled. Its like a contact with a suction cup.

Yeah, I noticed some cracks in the seal around the windshield. I was going to fill the gaps with some black urethane sealant.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 4:50am
The urethane should work well for a while. If you need a new windshield gasket either Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com) or Doug Galvin (www.ramblerparts.com) can get them. They don't have the thick "filler" section between the dash and windshield at the bottom though. I just got a piece of rubber tubing and put in the gap, made sure the ends go under the little metal pieces in the lower corners. No one seems to notice it. 
Frank Swygert
oldwood View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by estes estes wrote:

Progress....
Floors are repaired, por 15'd and Bedliner applied. Did bed liner come out of a rattle can opr did you take it to a company??? That looks like a way to keep rust from coming back.

The tailgate's hinges ripped/rusted out.

So I cut out the bad parts and boxed it in.

Horribly bondo'd doorskin is gone!

I'm pretty fortunate that the left side quarters are pretty good.... Unfortunately, the passenger side is pretty hosed.

That's all for now.
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 7:54am
If you cant find the color you want in a can most paint shops can mix a specific formula for you and you can have it put in a can. If they don't do that you could order a pint and use a Preval aerosal sprayer, they sell them at paint shops or Lowe's.
‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 8:29am
Oldwood,
I used the stuff called "Gravitex Plus" made by UPOL (see link below). I wouldn't use it for a bedliner because it doesn't look to be durable enough, but i think that it will work just fine as a floor protectant. Plus, it was 3x less expensive than the others, and it came with the gun to shoot it on.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd18.aspx

Josh-
I could get some mixed, in fact i have several spray guns already. I was looking for the easy way out, and Advance Auto Parts shows the color I want on thier website, but they don't seem to carry it in stores. I'll probably have to go get a 1/2 pint mixed . I'm planning on shooting the entire car this spring in my garage. There's a lot of roof to paint there!!
oldwood View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 8:51am
Thanks for the info on the bedliner product. My '62 wagon has been waiting for me to finish it.  It has similiar rust issues as yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic