TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My first Rambler! '63 Classic Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first Rambler! '63 Classic Wagon
    Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 7:47pm
So after several months of searching, I finally found a wagon! It's a '63 Classic 660 Cross Country. The body is in pretty good shape, its an older paint job with some Bondo but not too bad. It needs a new water pump and the radiator needs a re-core. The engine smokes some, so i'm searching for rebuild parts.

I just pulled the rubber mats/jute backing (it pretty much fell apart). There's a few issues here...

It looks like the gas pedal mount is pretty much gone. Does anyone repop floor pans?

Thats all I've got for now, I'm going to wire wheel the floor and figure out where the good ends and the bad begins...
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2011 at 7:50pm
Awesome find!  Wagons are always welcomed.  I don't think anyone repops the floors for these - but have seen some really amazing posts regarding their repair

Edited by SEdmonds - Jul/29/2011 at 7:55pm
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2011 at 9:31am
I love me a nice wagon and your's is cool but man you have a lot of work ahead of you. I don't want to discourage you but the rust repair is going to be extensive. If you're brave enough to tackle it, you are going to end up with a nice wagon.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2011 at 2:43pm
Kanter has a good selection of engine rebuild parts for your car but if its been sitting for a while, you may want to just drive it some and see if the smoke clears up (running a can of top engine cleaner through it may help as well). The rings can stick from sitting and driving it may free them up.

BTW, the rust damage to the floor was caused by a leaky cowl. The opening for the heater core in the cowl is a bad design and almost all of them rust out. Besides the floor, you need to take a close look at the passenger side frame sill where it meets the firewall and also the top of the cowl itself. The fenders are brazed in place in a couple of spots. There's one spot near the rocker panel and I think the the other is near the top of the door.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
ramblerman390 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerman390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2011 at 9:01pm
nice find Approve
want to go fast... get an AMC!
Maxiblue1973 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxiblue1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2011 at 1:03am
Very cool wagon. Nice project ahead of you sir.
estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 8:55am
Hey guys,
Thanks for the positive comments! I'm not too worried about the rust, I removed most of the damaged areas, and luckily the outer frame rails as well as the inner tails are surprisingly very solid. Also there are only a few pinholes on the rear pans. The passenger side leak didn't cause as much mayhem as I had originally had thought it would. We removed the pass. side fender expecting the worst, but were pleasantly surprised at how little rot there was (there still is some rot!). I purchased some 16ga sheet goods, I plan on bending up some replacement pieces with ~ 1/2 flange to weld to the outer frame rails. I plan on treating the rest of the solid areas with POR15, followed by some paint on bed liner and Dynamat that i've had hanging around the garage for some time now (hopefully the adhesive backing is still good!). That should keep the rust away. I'll post more pics after the patches are in!
~Graham
estes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 8:59am
Also; Does anyone know if a 287 from a '65 Ambassador would fit in my '63? If so, are there any modifications necessary to make it work?
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 10:30am

Lap joints on the repairs are fine but you need to spray the lapped areas with weld-through primer before you weld in the patches.

As far as the engine goes, what's in it now? If it's a V8, I think one from a 65 will work with no changes (63-66 Classic, Ambassador and Marlin are the same basic chassis, Ambassadors got a wheel base stretch). If It's a six, you'll need to swap the entire drivetrain and the engine crossmember.

Matt

1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2011 at 11:09am
Wooppie another Wagon.
Just might need to start a flat roof section
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic