TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 1967 AMC Marlin Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2019 at 8:13pm
The OE Motorola alternator was rebuilt by billd, looks as good as 1967! The alternator fizzled out three years ago, and the NAPA replacement has held steady since. When it goes, the Motorola will go back on, and probably last a super long time. Bill did awesome work; this is one sweet piece of electricity!

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 4:22pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 9:34pm
Installed AFR and vacuum gauges where the AM radio used to be. I made a mounting plate out of a piece of ABS plastic. I had to do it twice. The first time, I centered the gauges without the bezels in, and they were way to close together. So, I measured twice instead of once, and cut twice. The back of the dashboard bezel has screw mounting holes for a radio delete plate, so it worked great. I've never had a car with wideband or vacuum gauges, so I was itching to buy them. The AM radio would turn on, but I don't know if it worked because the antenna's broken. But, that's coming out after winter.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 4:51pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 8:37pm
The antenna didn't work, and the AM radio was swapped out for AFR and vacuum gauges, so just removed the antenna and buttoned up the sheet metal. I have a bluetooth speaker, so tunes aren't a problem if I need to hear music other than the exhaust note. Could also install bluetooth speakers in the car at some point, too. 

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:32pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 10:22pm
Rejuvenated the interior panels from the rear seats back, did some custom stuff, and installed sound deadener. Two photos below. Also spiffed up the trunk and tidied up the wiring with 3/8" plastic conduit.

I painted all the metal trim with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy and the plastic trim panels with SEM Satin Black. While I was at it, also did all the metal trim around the headliner and plastic pieces on the sides that go between the dash and headliner.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:34pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 10:43pm
Some fabrication and restoration wasn't technically difficult but a little tedious; worth it, though. Two photos below. I removed all the original insulating material in the process of cleaning, spraying, and then applying the Noico. I made a custom divider to go between the rear seat and trunk. Ordered $11 of 3-ply chipboard, used 1/4 of it, cut to fit, and wrapped the thing in sound deadener. I estimated the final cost of the divider was about $15 and two hours of time.

I was advised by a fellow Marlin owner to weave a couple layers of Gorilla Tape on the back of the sail panels before spraying them; that made them a bit sturdier when reinstalling.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:35pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 11:03pm
This was my favorite part of the process. Two photos below. The Marlin was ordered with a lot of cool stuff but not rear speakers. Designed custom custom speaker inserts with the 1960s AMC logo. The rear shelf was bleached from the sun but looks much nicer after cleaning it up and a few coats of SEM trim paint. I like it!

Spent a few hours replicating the logo and trying to get the colors and letters looking authentic. Talk about the perfect application for a circular logo. Secured them with a couple 1/4-inch bolts and lock nuts, and looking snazzy!

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:41pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 6:32pm
Installed an MSD distributor; I couldn't resist the customizing options and capability for a lot more initial timing than the OE Delco unit. I set the MSD with 22 degrees of initial timing and 14 of mechanical advance in by 2100. The distributor comes with a bunch of springs and a chart that tells you which ones bring in the mechanical advance the quickest. And five advance bushings ranging from 28 degrees down to 18 degrees. I wanted less mechanical advance than that, so I ordered a pair of 10 and 14-degree ones made by FBO Ignition. I used the 14-degree one.

I used MSD's Blaster 3 coil, a coil wire that you need to buy separately, 8.5mm plug wires, and swapped the plugs for some NGK V-Power FR5 7373 ones that I learned about on the forum.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:45pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2021 at 6:22pm
Custom red oak arm rests! Four photos below. Been looking forward to this for years; all it took was learning a co-worker had a woodworking side-hustle, and three weeks later, here they are.

There's not a recessed edge for the OE metal trim piece to snap into because I wanted the full piece look, and I didn't think the trim was very attractive on the OE arm rests in the first place. And the rear rests do not have provisions for the OE ashtrays. The holes are filled with buttons bonded to a magnet stack that snaps to the mounting screws. 

The previous owner had SMS rejuvenate the door panels. The door panels are what gave me the idea for the wood arm rests in the first place. We tried to match up the simulated wood grain on the door panels and chose red oak for the arm rests and then stained them in satin walnut.

The compulsory comparison! My OE arm rests are back on the car until the door panels are installed.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:50pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 7:36pm
Upgraded to an RPM Air Gap intake Smile The more spacers I added on the souped up 390 intake, the faster the car went. More plenum it is! I can still fit a one-inch spacer, too. And installed a new Robert Shaw thermostat. Updated the post to show the intake installed along with the new Mark Whitener 750 custom double pumper.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 7:51pm
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by 67 Marlin 67 Marlin wrote:

Dang that looks cool! The 1968/1969 390 intake (this one) is reputed to add 10 to 15HP to the 290 and 343 motors in stock form. The cast iron 390 intakes were even a Group 19 accessory for the smaller motors. The four holes are now a split plenum with a lowered center divider (a little lower than the 1970 Rebel Machine intake) and the edges under the carb going into the runners are radiused. This should help to maximize mid-range power, especially with the Jones cam. And, help a little up to 5500 which is all I'll need.

Top of the Group 19 catalog page with the intake on it. Note the part number (3191737) is different from the casting number (3191736).

What would be the difference between the 3191736 and 3191737 ?
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic