TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

multimeter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2020 at 11:40pm
There's lots of chinese-made stuff that's good, tough to sort out which is which. Adafruit Industries is super-trustworthy. Here's two they sell:

$25 and $18 each. The $18 job is out of stock at Adafruit (could be back in a day or two) but there;s alink for Digikey, the premiere site in the US to buy electronic components.

The $15 Victor might be less daunting, it doesn't do laundry or give financial advice. (THere's an awful lot of features there, I didn't look, but I assume...)

Actually the victor ($25) has many desireable features, probably the better choice.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2020 at 6:51am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

There's lots of chinese-made stuff that's good, tough to sort out which is which. Adafruit Industries is super-trustworthy. Here's two they sell:

$25 and $18 each. The $18 job is out of stock at Adafruit (could be back in a day or two) but there;s alink for Digikey, the premiere site in the US to buy electronic components.

The $15 Victor might be less daunting, it doesn't do laundry or give financial advice. (THere's an awful lot of features there, I didn't look, but I assume...)

Actually the victor ($25) has many desireable features, probably the better choice.

Yep, I replied via pm with my model from meterk, unfortunately, it's no longer available. So I gave him are reply on UNI-T products. One in particular is the 136D, which has been around for a few years now. I was going to buy one of their pro line meters, that use bluetooth direct sensor readings to your handheld device or laptop with its own software. When I purchased my dmm, which I thought was $17.00, but learned it was below $12.00, which became my choice, and happy I snagged it.

One big note... not very many use 9v battery any more. Most are 2x AA, or 3x AA. They work, but the back light drains the batteries a bit quicker.

Also I noticed inverted display is becoming popular... almost like kindle paper white display. Makes reading much easier, as you have black backgroumd, with light up digits, when back light is on. Reminds me of the old LED displays, which sucked up batteries. Ha!

Yep, you can find fairly good Chinese products, which are rebranded and sold here on shelves at mom and pop shops and catalog stores. Makes the crap shoot better than buying a $15.00 simple meter, that may not do the job, or die on you after a few years. Been 2 years now, and still happy... though, I admit... the multi function buttons can use a bit better work. Seems like too much is in one button. A small rant, but it would be nicer to have an extra button or two to segregate some functions. Also the auto turn off is not adjustable, even with back light function. Some times you want it to stay on longer than 30 seconds.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2020 at 12:37pm
Has the original poster replaced the battery in the HF multi meter? They get wonky when the battery goes down. Some versions have a slide out cover and some you need to use a screw driver to open the (whole) rear cover. They take a standard 9V battery.

BTW, the HF $5.99 multi meter is very often a "Free" item with any purchase. So, you can replace it for nothing. Me, I get at least 3 HF ads a week in the snail mail and it seems daily on line. The difficult debate for me is to get ANOTHER of their free, very bright LED flashlight, or ANOTHER free multi meter.

I have an older, digital screen Beckman I got at a swapmeet for $5. Likely a lot of older analog Simpsons out there too for not much money.
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by wittsend wittsend wrote:

Has the original poster replaced the battery in the HF multi meter? They get wonky when the battery goes down. Some versions have a slide out cover and some you need to use a screw driver to open the (whole) rear cover. They take a standard 9V battery.

BTW, the HF $5.99 multi meter is very often a "Free" item with any purchase. So, you can replace it for nothing. Me, I get at least 3 HF ads a week in the snail mail and it seems daily on line. The difficult debate for me is to get ANOTHER of their free, very bright LED flashlight, or ANOTHER free multi meter.

I have an older, digital screen Beckman I got at a swapmeet for $5. Likely a lot of older analog Simpsons out there too for not much money.

No, I didn't replaced the battery.  The leads were coming apart
(I know leads can be purchased) and I wanted a higher quality
unit, frankly.  I like my new Klein unit!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
CARnivore View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARnivore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by wittsend wittsend wrote:

The old Beckmans are terrific. I have a DM45 I bought new in 1986 as an electrician and is still my go to meter. Also have an old table top Fluke thats still alive 40 years later
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2020 at 3:45pm
Guess I got lucky.  My previous employer was throwing out a small Fluke tabletop model because it wouldn't stay on unless plugged in.  Brought it home and opened it up.  It used 6 "C" size NI-Cad rechargeable batteries.  Went down to Batteries Plus and bought them for around $10.  Installed and it still holds a charge over 10 years later.  I also have a Craftsman (made by Fluke) portable digital, and a very old analog because sometimes you need to see that needle sweep.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic