TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Motors Best ET...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motors Best ET...
    Posted: Oct/09/2021 at 8:32pm
So I figured I'd share my new personal best for my current motor. This motor was originally built as a Car Craft Magazine build but for a few reasons never happened.

Motor Specs:
360 .030 over Wiseco flat tops
Stock crank with K1 rods.
Comp Hyd cam. .566 lift, .268 duration @ .050
Stock heads with Stainless valves. No port work.
950 Holley HP Alcohol carb

Car Specs:
72 Gremlin
4.86 rear gear
Powerglide 1:98 1st gear
5200 stall converter
28" slicks
Best ET was around a 6.72 100mph.

This year, the steel heads started leaking too much to leave alone so I swapped them with a set of Eddy heads & a new Victor Jr intake. I also swapped the gear back to a 4:10 for GAD so I could run 1/4 mile but that never happened so it wasn't until I swapped the heads that I got a 1/4 mile pass. I was surprised it went a 10.55 @ just under 125 mph. This got me thinking so I put the 4:86 back in & was even more pleased. My best pass with the new combo was 6.488 & best mph of 103.88!!!
It was very consistent hanging at 6:48/6.50 & between 1.40/1.39 60'. Good enough to win a 9 round race @ the Dragway 42 Halloween race.

I tried to do justice to all the companies who helped make this build possible. Make it as fast as I can without going deep into the motor. I think I succeeded in making that happen!

Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 12:46am
So that equates to about a 10 seconds flat 1/4 mile time ? Shocked
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 8:41am
I tried a couple of run completion apps & they say 10.20s. This combination would surely explode before it made it that far. 6800 in the 1/8 says I'm not allowed to go any further. ;-)
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 6:08pm
That's a good gain, doing pretty well for relatively stock heads before.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 7:46pm
Over the years we have come up with a pretty solid combo that is dependable & fast. The K1 rods & Wiseco pistons have given us a solid bottom end.

We have used this Comp cam a lot in the past & it never disappoints.

I have always just built motors & tried to make them consistent for racing & not tried changing much to see gains. It was pretty fun changing things to see how much I could improve. I'm glad I started with the stock heads. It gave me a chance to have a baseline.

Another improvement I made which helped more in consistency than all out speed is the addition of the Opentracker strut rod bushings. I have 1 more race this weekend & will give my reports back to John & hopefully have a direct fit part number for us by the end of the year! 

Couldn't figure out how to rotate. This is the first night out with the new set up & a set of new used tires.

Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 10:22pm
That's sounds like a fun little Gremlin!

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 12:21pm
That's a great running 360!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 7:09pm
Thanks for the compliments.

I went to the Halloween Classic @ Norwalk this past week. The car was flawless. The only inconsistencies was due to extreme wind changes.  The weather was between 3400' & 240' & the wind was either a 10mph headwind or a 10mph tail wind.

Throw out the really windy passes & the car went between a 6.48 & 6.52 in 8 days of racing. I lost Sunday on a break out. I hit the brake but not enough.  Broke out by .004.

60' 1.384
330' 4.111
1/8 6.46 @ 100.40

Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2021 at 10:52am
Terrific consistency!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 6:38pm
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic