TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Modifying wheel cyl a big no no?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying wheel cyl a big no no?
    Posted: Jan/22/2023 at 2:28pm
Is modifying a wheel cylinder a big no no? 
Not today. 
Not having faith in my valve grinding compound effort to resurface the seat of the old wheel cyl, I started looking into whether or not the cups, boots and other parts would transfer over to new wheel cyls I bought from rock auto.
These new wheel cyls have the seat machined out of the cast iron, the old ones have the seat fashioned out of brass and its pressed into the cast iron.
These are scored from previous brake line installs and are not seating and sealing the brake line, so I resorted to trying to adapt the new wheel cyls. 
I found out that the aluminum cups that slide in the cylinder, that supports the little rods that interface with the brake shoes do fit into the cylinder bore, the boots from the old wheel cyl are a larger diameter and will not transfer over, so I cut out the inside part of the boot from the old wheel cyl and krazy glued it to the rest of the new boot that fits the new wheel cyl.
This was nessesary because the old boot hugs the little rod that sits in the aluminum cup. 
Also, the cast iron body of the new wheel cyl is different then the old one, and I had to zip cut grinder off a large amount of cast iron at the part the 1/4 bolts thread into and fasten the wheel cyl to the backing plate and bleeder screw and hard line threads into the wheel cyl.
I have verified the work has not decreased the threaded ports integrity at all.
Pics of my success below.... 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jan/22/2023 at 3:32pm
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 9:57am
It was alll for nothing, the wheel cylinder bolt holes are in a different place, maybe about a 1/8 inch difference, unless I start modifying the backing plate, which is where at this time I'll stop modifying things, and buy new old stock wheel cyls. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 9:58am
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

It was alll for nothing, the wheel cylinder bolt holes are in a different place, maybe about a 1/8 inch difference, unless I start modifying the backing plate, which is where at this time I'll stop modifying things, and buy new old stock wheel cyls. 

Good move.  Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic