TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Modifying Full Throttle Upshifts BW M12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:53pm
The M12 according to planethouston was also used by Jaguar.
In the Jaguar Forums it talks of the odd shift points of an M12.
1 is 1st and it will stay there until you blow the engine.
2 is 2nd start and 3rd at 60 to 80 MPH, depending on which member is talking.
D is 2nd start and 3rd at approximately 30 to 40 MPH
Big no no is to downshift to 1st.
This does make sense as many automatics in the 60's if put in D would start in 2nd unless the throttle or vacuum forced 1st. Very effective in snow to start in 2nd!
If this is how your M12 works, I'm guessing all is well. For drag racing, start in 1st and move 2nd at your preferred shift RPM.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 4:37am
Trader, I wonder if you can do the blip throttle trick for the GM TH400, for proper manual down shift. The hitting the accelerator into a down shift, keeps rotating inertia from attacking low band and sprag. Some where I found that info, but it is not talked about much.

Being not familiar with operation of the M series tranny mechanicals, its just a curiosity of sorts.

Oddly enough with the Torque Command, you can down shift hard in any forward gear. Which I was a bit of a mad man with my 73 when I owned it.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:25am
Has been decades since I've driven a BW automatic, same for a 727 or TH400.
Only posted what I've read or have documentation on.
I would think a current owner or someone with a lot better knowledge of the transmission could verify what I've posted.
The AMX and Machine with the floor shifter seems to have a modified M12 valve body. Higher oil pressure (different spring) and more flow (enlarged holes) for faster shifting. Again, that would have to be verified. Very sparse on the details of the modifications. Not much documentation out there to find.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:28am
Trader, they are talking about the older M-8 in the Jags, but might be an M-11. When the M-12 came out I'm pretty sure the old "D2 D1" selections (on Rambler) were gone, the more common "D 2 1" taking over. I do recall that if left in 2 the trans would upshift anyway at a certain speed for safety considerations.... to prevent over revving the motor. 5400 rpm/70 mph sounds about right...
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 6:51am
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Isn't there a note in the Owner's Manual, that a BW, in the "2" position will automatically upshift to 3rd at 70-something MPH?

Not sure, but there was a TSB on this stating it will upshift at ~5000 RPM, and a note that said something like "only someone crazy would drive like this"

Edit: no one in their right mind would drive like this

Edited by Steve_P - Nov/26/2021 at 6:06pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 9:00pm
The Technical Service Manuals have very detailed operation description for all models. I wonder if the shift points vary with model and year?

The M35, the little air-cooled job, has the same D2 D1 L pattern. I forget the shift points, but moving the lever to L is suggested to put it into LOW (1st) below X MPH, and into MID (2nd) below Y MPH. I forget X and Y. I use this climbing hills, eg. to drop into 2nd on a long grade instead of lugging.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 12:51pm
If your transmission is upshifting at 4000 rpm at full throttle then you can certainly adjust the vacuum modulator to move the shift points (both partial throttle and full throttle) upward. At 4000 rpm the vacuum modulator is controlling / limiting the upshift points, not the governor. The factory recommended pressure settings were set for smoothness and fuel economy not performance. AMC did not set up the automatic pressure specs any differently for the AMX and Javelin performance engines though they should have.

By raising the operating pressure you'll get firmer, faster shifts and less slippage which will increase the life of the bands and clutches.
I believe that you'll want to move the modulator adjustment up for a full throttle upshift to begin at about 4800 rpm. The trans. governor is set up to force an upshift at about 5100 rpm irrespective of the position of the shift lever.

You will find however that initial engagement of reverse or drive ranges when shifting out of park or neutral will be a lot firmer and the closed throttle 3-1 or 2-1 downshift will be much more noticeable.
Tweak your modulator adjustment clockwise to raise the line pressure a couple of turns at a time and then do a road test to find your optimum point.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 1:26pm
Thanks George!

Those are some easy things to try. 5100rpm would be perfect ('68 390, 10:1, 268H, and Hooker headers). 

Regards

Dono
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 10:12am
Just as a follow up, prior to the 1968 model year when all the AMC / BW automatics were referred to as "Shift Command", there was the "Flash-O-Matic designation which dated way back. All Flash-O-Matics used the D-1, D-2 and L forward drive designations. D-1 was the normally used position that provided all 3 speeds with a first gear start and D-2 provided a second gear start with an automatic upshift to 3rd. The intention was to use D-2 for slippery surfaces. L range held the car in first gear with no automatic upshifts. Placing the shifter in L when driving at road speeds would automatically downshift the transmission to second gear and if/when the car slowed down below about 20 mph on closed throttle the transmission would downshift again to first gear.
Shift Command was introduced in 1967 in the full sized cars and was the transmission version used with the floor shift/console option. The shift quadrant changed to the "more modern" D, 2, 1 designations. D gives only a first gear start with 3 forward gears, 2 gives you second gear only and 1 replaced the L (Low) range of the Flash-O-Matic by only making first gear available with no upshifts.

All the functional differences between the Flash-O-Matic and the Shift Command versions were due to changes in the valve bodies.

Dono, as for adjusting the modulator you'll most likely find that you'll want to set the pressure so that the 2 to 3 full throttle upshift point begins to occur somewhat below 5000 rpm. Otherwise your part throttle upshift points may be too high for normal driving in traffic situations. If your cam allows rpm much past 5000 then you can always shift manually to hold first and second longer though much may not be gained by shifting past the horsepower peak.
Note, that as mentioned in earlier posts, that the valve body is designed to force upshifts when engine rpm exceeds much above about 5200 rpm irrespective if you're holding the gear shifter in a lower gear position.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic