TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

maybe Jeep project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: maybe Jeep project
    Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 12:58pm
ok....not much experience working on jeeps.

I have a nice 4 door 1994 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 4x4. the motor is shot and always thought it would be cool to convert to an AMC V8 just because I want to.

I have an old rusted out 1974 Jeep cherokee 4x4 w/401,400 turbo and quadratrack.

I would assume the engine will not be that much of an issue since people have been swapping a V8 in jeeps forever.

The thing that concerns me most is the drive train.

Has anybody attempted such a transplant ?

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Nov/26/2021 at 1:47pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 3:33pm
Anything is possible.  If you're in an emissions area, it would be really difficult to pass a visual, as all of the same emissions equipment as the 1994 would need to be present, including EFI.

Here in Colorado, the emissions needs to be the same year or newer than the body.  If the engine is older, it needs to be retrofit with emissions that were standard on the year of the body.  If the engine is newer, the emissions have to be the year of the engine.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 3:58pm
I'm glad I live in rural Missouri......no emissions inspections......at all.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 4:46pm
They were available with a 318 & 360 Magnum engines which are the same physical size as the AMC V8 so that's the easy part. It'll be the trans and transfer case is where you might have clearance issues. If you can't find anyone that has done the swap, then all you can do is try to stuff it in there and see what you have. Big smile

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 5:20pm
ZJ (& WJ) Grand Cherokee's have drivers side drop front axles,

Full Size Jeeps still had passengers side front axles in 1974,
 so if you use the 74's quadtrac transfer case you'd need a passengers drop front axle.

Using a passengers side drop front axle in a ZJ might be a little tough since the track bar and it's bracket is designed to deal with the pumpkin being on the other side (to avoid bar to pumpkin contact as the suspension flexes),
but it might be ok if you moved the bracket forward a bit, but then you might end up into the steering linkages...

(lay under the ZJ and you'll see how the stock track bar bends up around the DS pumpkin)

Depending on if your 74 Cherokee is a wide wheel version (with J-Truck sized wheel flares),
 or narrow track, the axles may be wider than the ZJ's axles too.

If I recall correctly,
 narrow track Cherokee & Wagoneers had between 60-61" front axles, and 58-59" rear axles,
 the wide track (with bigger metal flares) were in the 64-65" wide range.

The ZJ has ft & rear axles both around 60.5", but with wheels offset in so the track is around 58".

If you wanted to use just the AMC V8 and use a newer Jeep's drivetrain;
 (to keep the front axle drop on the drivers side)

Your AMC V8 has the same bellhousing pattern as the 4.0L
and would bolt to the ZJ's transmission in theory (not sure what to do about the flexplate)
 but I'm not a fan of those Chrysler 4spd auto's,

"Box-Cherokee" XJ's used stronger Ansin AW4 automatics,
 and one would bolt happily between an AMC V8 and the Grand Cherokee's stock transfer case.

You could grab an XJ front axle and have a stronger hi-pinion D30 front end instead of the low pinion ZJ D30 too.

The weak link would be the ZJ's D35 rear end,
 people have swapped everything in from XJ/MJ D44's, to TJ D44's, Ford 8.8's, Ford passenger car 9" rears,
 but since it's rear coil springs, just about any rear swap would require welding up some brackets.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 10:47pm
Welding and fabrication is not an issue. I am starting to think, take the front and rear axles with the swap out........narrow the axles if I have to and build a new locator or "track bar"....with what I am gleaning from your post.

No difference than fabricating a track bar or locator bar for a race car just on the front instead of the back.

All comments and foresight is a welcome thing.

Please...any comments or thoughts welcome !!!!!!!

Thank You !

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Nov/26/2021 at 11:00pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 10:58pm
I really want to keep the 401/400 turbo/ quadratrack out of the 74 jeep.

If I have to swap the axles with it i will have to deal with that !
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 7:31am
you ever think of frame swap just shorten it  
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

you ever think of frame swap just shorten it  

No... that never even crossed my mind.

I think maybe you are on to something !
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2021 at 6:21pm
i would not worry about narrowing axles  i know those jeep people put blazer axles on them and just let the tires hang out for crawling  
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic