TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

mataor x heater core removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mataor x heater core removal
    Posted: May/02/2021 at 4:25am
Hi Guys ,my heater has been by passed so thought I'd pull the core to check it as I don't want to just reconnect and have a wet floor!
It's an AC car ,the AC is disconnected and the pump etc is gone.
Any hints on getting the core out?,do I have to remove the panel that runs across underneath the dash?how does that come out ??
Also does the defrost/cabin control get controlledby vacum?,I noticed ait blowingon the screen when in defrost  position ,I thought maybe it had something todo witha missing vacum line on a firewall fitting behind the engine?
Probably dumb questions but don't have a manual and flying a bit blind here.

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 5:35am
AMC Brother....you got to buy a MANUAL!!   The underdash on Coupe is ridiculously complicated.  All vacuum controlled doors and heater control valve. 

The lower trim panel has to come off, screws along the mate edge to dash.....also if you have a inside hood release, that has to be taken off and it uses torx head screws.  The heater core job is not fun at all....there are several fasteners  (7/16" hex head) in the engine compartment air box that have to be taken off too.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 2:07pm
thanks Ross, sounds like a good wee project for me over winter!CryLOL

73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by mopar63 mopar63 wrote:

thanks Ross, sounds like a good wee project for me over winter!CryLOL

Everything Ross says is spot on.  And yes, plan on a winter to do it, lol. My 77 wagon dash and HVAC setup has been out of my car nearly a year now, and is just starting to come back together (Thanks Ross!!)  A TSM for your year will be massively helpful, as the way it is written is the exact process order you gotta do it in.  And be prepared to find that you'll be doing more than just a heater core swap. As Ross said, it is complicated under there, as it was designed at the beginning of the 'install and service as a unit' era of vehicle construction. Be prepared for wiring issues, vacuum hose issues, and if you haven't already, you may as well pull the instrument panel, radio and the works so you can refresh everything while you are there - with the knowledge that doing so means you won't have to mess with any of it for many years to come.

Good luck!
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 4:01am
ok so had a quick look,put a vacum pump on each actuator and they all work ,though not sure where the demist one is ??,getting the core out I can sort ,biggest issue at present is where does the vacum fort the heater controls come from?I have a blocked off vacum fitting on the back of the mainfold which I thinkis supposed to feed it some how,there's a cannister behind the booster that has a one vacum line to the trans by the looks one one small line to a firewall fitting ,and one that firewall fitting there is another connection point with no hose going to it  

mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 4:53am
I thinkI have it sussed, I am missing a fitting onback ofmanifold that is the vacum source,,it's got a plug in it, the other blocked of fitting is the egr valve,
gee this is fun !

mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2021 at 3:49am
Got the heater core out .wasn't too bad a job.took me one hour flat.didnt have to touch anything in engine bay just the glove box and lower panel.glad i did as i found the core hss a couple of small leaks

mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2021 at 5:44am
Ended up ditching the core as it was toast, leaks everywhere,I cut one brass tube of to adapt to a late model Mitsy L300 van heater core which was practically the same size.Has worked out well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic