TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

matador x coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2020 at 6:13pm
Ok, The reason I asked is, I happened to watch a TV show where they were getting a late mode (73/74)l "E" body Mopar Cuda / Challenger back up and running for a couple . It was small block (340/360) with console floor shift. The mopar shifter looked identical to the AMC Matador coupe one. It would take some like Ross to know the difference. Caveat in the TV show you only see the top part of the shifter, so no idea if the bottom part is the same or even close. But I'm betting that is it close if not the same. Most of this stuff , specifically low volume stuff is done by an out side supplier / contractor. Lot of stuff AMC used was used on other cars of the period or very close too it. Probably made by the same out side company just AMC version or Mopar version. The reason I state this is while the AMC version is unobtainable the Mopar version is available. I was hoping to get a look at the Mopar one but all the car shows so far this year have been cancelled. LRDaum
LRDaum
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2020 at 12:41am
AMC had high hopes for the '74 Matador; they were planning to make a 4 four door coupe and a station wagon version later, after the debut of the fastback model.

The four door and station wagon versions were ...better looking than the fastback? Yes, IMO)

(fastback and coupe are two different definitions in the dictionary = the '74-'78 2dr coupe is actually a fastback IMO)

It was truly unfortunate the Arab Oil Embargo hit just as American Motors released the all new Matador, which basically crippled all new big car sales in favor of smaller cars -to get more mpg.

The Matador fastback styling has the AMX/3 for it's styling preview car, albeit in a different size category, like AMX GT was for Gremlin, Javelin station wagon was for Sportabout and Tarpon was for Marlin.

The '74-'78 Matador fastback shares it's grille design with Triumph TR4, and another British car? I have never been able to find the name of -no doubt the same shape and overall look of the grille.

Once upon a time in USA, 1/4 mile oval race tracks were commonly called 'bullrings', hence the Matador name announced AMC's true underlying intentions...
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2020 at 6:41pm
The Matador coupe was compared to the Jensen Interceptor , that probably the English car your thinking of. It's too bad AMC gave up on big cars due to the Arab oil embargo. I think a four door and a station wagon with the coupe styling would greatly improved sales for at least a couple year s. Then just when AMC drops all the big cars in 1978 , then the big cars start selling again! Bad timing unfortunately. The styling is love it , or hate it. But based on what other intermediate cars that were out there at the time , well the Chevy Laguna does have much of a following either ! As do most of the mid 1970 intermediates.  I like the Matador Coupe styling myself, enough I bought one also two years ago. LRDaum
LRDaum
mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2020 at 3:22am
So I thought I'd be ripping out the motor to give it a freshen up etc then once I looked at the car overall concluded that a previous owner  had starting pulling the car apart to do  a resto then as projects go sometimes had given up.
I'm going to reinstate the exhaust,got rid of the hooker headers which were a bit bent and am awaited some stock manifolds  to arrive,i bought a starter and thermostat housing of rockauto so think I will get it going and suss out the engine trans and brakes,after all the car has only done 83000 miles so all may be ok ,fingers crossed. Sorry about the sideways pic Confused 

Edited by mopar63 - May/18/2020 at 3:24am

Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 2:34am
Awsome,  Marador cupe is on my wish listCoolThumbs Up
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 1:27pm
What a great project-- if you can get all those hard-to-find Matty coupe parts that is, lol.  

BTW, I'm from NZ originally, My dad was from Otane, my mother from Napier and they lived in Hastings when they were first married.  Later they moved up north to Warkworth, where I was born.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 10:45pm
Were the bumpers painted like that new?
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2020 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by 67 Marlin 67 Marlin wrote:

No, they had chrome bumpers from the factory.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 6:04am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

What a great project-- if you can get all those hard-to-find Matty coupe parts that is, lol.  

BTW, I'm from NZ originally, My dad was from Otane, my mother from Napier and they lived in Hastings when they were first married.  Later they moved up north to Warkworth, where I was born.
wow small world!,I seeyou have a bbo amx- I had one too,not factory ,I painted it that along with my old Javelin!,yep some bits are hard to find  ,some easy.
windscreen is the hardest may have found one over there NOS ,prob hefty price , can get one made here in NZ,but have another idea I'm working on...

mopar63 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2020 at 6:14am
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by 67 Marlin 67 Marlin wrote:

No, they had chrome bumpers from the factory.

Tom
yep the bumpers have been bogged ,sanded painted ...and now removed !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic