TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Massive rust under rambler super

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2021 at 10:33pm
You can do wonders with flat stock and bends over a bull-nose bench edge or a pipe. And REAL sheet metal shears. Get the red and the green and learn the difference. They're not expensive.

Calibrate your goals and expectations: concourse restoration where judges look for correct and perfect? lol. Or solid rugged driver with repairs visible for those who care to look. No shame in that in a 63 year old car!

Cut the rust out, til to get to solid metal. It might be a lot.

I find it easiest to cut cardboard boxes into templates (scissors, tape) to get the shape, then trace it out with a Sharpie onto sheet metal, then cut.

Stare at it long enough to visualize it as flats and angles. Flat is easy. Simple bends are easy. No, it won't look factory. Luckily floors get covered, and again, no shame in obvious repairs done carefully. Keep your goal in mind.

Fill in the big stuff, then angled metal (eg. floor flat to the firewall under the pedals), even if you have multiple pieces -- again like other stuff, if this your first time doing work like this, look for function, not pretty. that comes with experience.

I assume you're welding...

Lay pieces in place, floor flat, angles, etc, and when you get to the point it's becoming a PITA, tack weld down the big ones. When you get it all to fit and satisfy, THEN weld. 

I wrote that like instructions because its easier to write, but I'm no sheet metal expert, don't know what tools you have, goals, expectations, what help yo have, or not!, lol, etc. That's more or less how I'd approach it... YMMV.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.sr-ix.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic