TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1958 Rambler super WELDING NEW FLOOR COMPLETE.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

Well, the 220v socket does not have an adapter I can use to plug in the 120v plug for the welder, I tried to go buy one and they said that kind of adapter doesn't exist, so they say, but the washing machine is plugged into a normal looking socket that you see everyday that has the normaly used three pronged plug, the welder also has the same pattern of plug that will plug into that, but, because of distance I will need to be using a 25foot 12 gage extension cord, but I was thinking of powering the welder from that plug that the washing machine is usually powerd from.
But I don't know if it's "dedicated" to high powered appliances...but it's being used by the washing machine,and nothing else is plugged into it, I think I would be unplugging the washing machine when I use the power from that socket, and I figure it must be a high power requirement appliance so I'm hoping it will be ok to use. I've looked at where those socket wires originate from and it goes back to a small metal box near the other electrical stuff for the house.

Wash machine will be a regular 120v North American 3 prong plug socket. The wash machine will run off of any normal 120v 3 prong socket in the building. It is the electric dryer that is 220/240v. An electric stove will also be 220/240v but may have a different plug type than the dryer.

I once had a Lincoln 220v welder and made a special extension cord that plugged into where the stove plugged in and the other end of the cord connected to my 220v welder. The stove was 18 feet from the parking spot. When I moved from that house to a condo I sold that welder since I had nowhere to plug it into anymore.

I have a similar blue Mastercraft Canadian Tire 120v welder to the one you have but it is the mig gas version that can also use flux core wire too. I have plugged it into many 120v sockets. There are 3 kinds of North American 3 prong 120v sockets, 15amp, 20amp and 30amp. 15 is not enough amps for welding some things and will trip the breaker. A 20amp one will work for everything with this welder. The 30amp ones uses a completely different kind of plug end than the 15 and 20 and is not commonly used in a residence if at all.

If you make an adapter to plug your 120v welder into 220/240v you will blow it up and probably cause a fire.

Edited by maximus7001 - Nov/13/2021 at 8:08pm
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 10:32pm
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 12:07am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

I bought a harbor freight welder that does 110/220 it was the titanuim 569$ one...but got money off ..black Friday membership card blah blah..then went to central welding and picked up a tank...damn tanks sure went up in price..and my house was built in 1949 ..so sketchy wiring ...so I made some male female ends and plug it into the dryer...last night was first time I used it....looked at their chart ..pulled the trigger..smooooooth smoooooth..going...I could have welded for hours...no splattering ...was easy to control.....but maybe once in my life I got lucky.......and again ..I'm really broke now..lol

That's a pretty nice looking weld.  What's that on?  It looks like about 12 gauge?
1\16th tube on a 10 gauge sheet...135 thk    I had fun....I bought it mostly so I can mini tub my javelin...friend's said I could borrow theirs...but I would rather have this tool in my arsenal ...plus worked tons overtime ..needed a man present

1969 sst javelin restomod
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 7:38am
The Titanium and Mastercraft are 2 different welding machines by design.

The Titanium is an inverter machine that not only makes the welding voltage more stable, more adjustable and also the big factor - flattens the frequency to provide an even current flow.

The Mastercraft pictured is a transformer welder that puts out 60 Htz, 1/2 pulse DC current. My neighbor has the exact same welding machine.

You get what you pay for.
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 9:32pm
Maximus.... Why do you think I would damage the welder and maybe cause a fire? Won't the welder only "draw" as much power as it needs and not too much (maybe you meen that all the power of 220 will all flow to the welder instead of 120, or just 20 amps and not 30amps?) 
I did some more investigating, the washer is only drawing 10 amps.
Trader posted a adapter ( cost $99...)  That can be used for the idea in question, trader.... Do you agree if the welder is plugged into that adapter it could possibly cause it to be damaged?

I was also thinking of ways around this problem, I could rent a 10,000 watt generator ( oh geeeeeeze..... Renting a uhual truck again to go get it....ugh) the cost for renting it would be over $400 a week, and the cost of the truck would be ?? Haven't figured that out yet.
But maybe if the adapter solution isn't as dangerous as maximus suggested, that would obviously be much easier, but I still wonder why maximus advised me using that solution might blow up the welder...
I also bought a better welder too! It's a Lincoln electric MIG 140, I wanted a welder that inspired more confidence! And I have also come to think it's a better welder for some reason.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Nov/20/2021 at 10:35pm
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 9:58pm
That 240/120 adapter listed above will work just find IF you have the female receptacle that it fits.  That adapter is designer for a NEMA equivalent of a 14-30R receptacle.  The 14-30 has both phase leads, a ground, and the neutral.  The 120 receptacles are wired between a phase lead and the neutral.  No problem.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 10:38pm
Hmmm, so if all the prongs of the adapter are EXACT matches for the  female socket parts the adapter plugs into everything should be fine. 
Correct?

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Nov/20/2021 at 10:40pm
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 11:43pm
I would suggest ma 25 ft 10 ga  extension.  Less losses.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 8:28am

Hmmm, so if all the prongs of the adapter are EXACT matches for the  female socket parts the adapter plugs into everything should be fine. 
Correct?

Yup.  If you buy the adapter and still have doubts, plug a trouble light into the adapter and see what happens.  It should work just fine.

Caveat, of course this assumes that if you do have the correct receptacle, that it is wired up correctly.  But the trouble light test should determine that also.

Just a comment on welders.  I had the first 110 volt MIG Hobart ever build, the 'suitcase' MIG.  Since then I've gone through two other Hobarts until I bought a Miller with Auto-Set.  This thing makes me look like I know what I'm doing.  I've tried the Lincoln's but this Miller is the cat's pajamas.

Edited by 6PakBee - Nov/21/2021 at 8:36am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 9:26am

Maximus.... Why do you think I would damage the welder and maybe cause a fire? Won't the welder only "draw" as much power as it needs and not too much (maybe you meen that all the power of 220 will all flow to the welder instead of 120, or just 20 amps and not 30amps?) 
I did some more investigating, the washer is only drawing 10 amps.
Trader posted a adapter ( cost $99...)  That can be used for the idea in question, trader.... Do you agree if the welder is plugged into that adapter it could possibly cause it to be damaged?

I was also thinking of ways around this problem, I could rent a 10,000 watt generator ( oh geeeeeeze..... Renting a uhual truck again to go get it....ugh) the cost for renting it would be over $400 a week, and the cost of the truck would be ?? Haven't figured that out yet.
But maybe if the adapter solution isn't as dangerous as maximus suggested, that would obviously be much easier, but I still wonder why maximus advised me using that solution might blow up the welder...
I also bought a better welder too! It's a Lincoln electric MIG 140, I wanted a welder that inspired more confidence! And I have also come to think it's a better welder for some reason.

I was not referring to using a proper adapter. The proper adapter trader posted splits the voltage in half like regular house wireing does. We dont really have 110/120v here in north america. It is just 220/240v divided by 2 for household use. It comes into the building as 220/240v and is divided in the breaker box, or fuse box in a really old setup.
What I was reffering to was if one was to just wire a dryer plug onto a 110/120v device then plug it into a 220/240v dryer  the results would not be pretty.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic