TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Marlin rear axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW_65Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin rear axle
    Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 11:58am
Hello Forumites,
Is the rear axle in a 65 Marlin an AMC 20 axle that is set up with a torque tube?  It has a round cover with 12 bolts and looks like an AMC 20 except for the torque tube.
Will a limited slip carrier for a regular AMC 20 axle work?
Will ring and pinion gearsets for an AMC 20 work in the Marlin axle?  

Thanks,

Darron
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 12:18pm
I believe it's a "tweener".  Between the torque tube and the standard AMC 20 that they started using in 67.   The giveaway would be that the front pinion bearing housing is bolted on.   If it is, then the pinion gear is longer than the standard AMC 20, and the case is slightly wider, so the carrier won't swap either. 

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
DW_65Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW_65Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 12:46pm
Thanks Bob!  
I guess I have some work to do unbolting things and figuring out the front pinion bearing housing.  I really hope I can find a limited slip carrier to work in this axle.

Thanks, 
Darron

mark_k View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 6:43pm
You will have to find one for a 65/66. Just went through trying to find a ring and pinion for my 65.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 8:12pm
This one states it will fit 65-67 Marlins:
Thought there was a thread, possibly the old Forum were one can fit a TrueTrax or similar by shimming the carrier???
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 1:49am
It is a Model 20. Versions of the Model 20 were used way back in the 1940's Nashes. 

The ring and pinion gears for a torque tube Model 20 are not the same as ones for an open drive Model 20, but the differential gears and carrier should be the same.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
DW_65Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW_65Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 9:22am
Thank you FSJunkie, your insight is very helpful 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 1:20pm
To be more specific, the pinion shafts are the difference. I'm pretty sure the spline diameter/width/count is different on an open driveshaft model, and the machining on the end is different also.

If the splines and overall length were the same you could use an open driveshaft model ring and pinion on a TT car, but not the other way around. It would be difficult to drill and tap the hardened pinion shaft for a retaining bolt.As I stated, there are some machining differences which prevent using an open driveshaft model pinion gear on a TT rear axle. Doesn't matter if the ring gear works or not since the ring and pinion must be a matched set.
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 3:31pm
Not having done this, have to ask, even if the ring and pinion are different, if the carrier is the same it should not matter.
The ring gear could be "thinner" but it's still 8-7/8" diameter. Pinion gear diameter should only matter if the differential housing pinion offset is different.
The carrier is the posi unit and nothing to do with the pinion unless the housing offset is different.
I thought I read somewhere that with the TT AMC20, you cannot use non TT gears, but the carrier is the same all be it most of the shims for the carrier were put to one side. The ring gear was thinner for the larger diameter pinion.
Am I incorrect?   
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 5:39pm
Found the answer to the my question:
401MATCOUPE posted this a few years ago:

I have very sucessfully made and installed a spacer between ring gear and posi unit.  Early AMC 20's have same exact problem with two different ring gear heights on the housing....and posi in those rears are very rare.   They only have 3/8" bolts on ring gear too.....   I made a precision spaced from Cold Rolled Steel, blanchard greound perfectly flat, deburred.  I don't remeber the exact thickness, but it is installed in a local fellows 2 door 64 Ambassador, yes....2 door, he created from a car his family bought new, it has been to alot of shows, he does not baby it......nor beat it, just has fun.   The spacer is a viable fix, but not cheap either......nice to see I am not the only one that loves AMC 20 axles!!

So early are 3/8" bolts and later  are 7/16" bolts on the carriers. And there is the spacing of the ring gear for a posi.

Would personally like to have these side by side to compare. Bolt holes can be made bigger if they are the same bolt circle and number of bolts. Making a shim is not a big deal.

Upon further thought, I would not enlarge the holes in the ring gear, but relocate for new holes to drill and tap in the carrier. And there are many ring gear spacers out there that likely can be modified to suit.

Edited by Trader - Feb/05/2023 at 7:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic