TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Marlin Brake Booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin Brake Booster
    Posted: May/06/2021 at 8:45am
My 1965 Marlin has drum/drum brakes. Never have had "good" brakes on this car since my dad fixed it up despite new parts put in. 

Repair shop says my power brake booster is bad. Bad from the very beginning???

Anyways, I have a used booster labeled "1966 AMC Ambassador/Classic/Marlin" on my parts shelf that I would send in to be rebuilt so I can keep driving the car. 

Before I spend the $$$ and send it off to be rebuilt- 

Is there any difference in the power booster between drum/drum brakes and disc/drum brakes?

Is there any difference in the power booster for a 1965 Marlin compared to a 1966 Marlin?

1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 10:01am
Bad booster from the beginning means what? 1966?
I've had boosters decades newer than that go bad. They're not lifetime parts
monasmarlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Bad booster from the beginning means what? 1966?
I've had boosters decades newer than that go bad. They're not lifetime parts

Bad booster from when he 1st fixed the car up several year ago. Car has never felt like it has had power brakes. 
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 10:49am
It probably didn't have working power brakes.
Also ( I dont know Marlin specifics) but if your master cylinder stands off of the firewall with the scissor type linkage, they rust and bind so it doesn't matter until that's addressed.
See if the booster at least holds a vacuum.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 11:42am
From this list, they are the same booster:
But if were mine, I'd be very careful as to who I give it to to rebuild. Your local shop if they state they can do the work or use one of the AMC vendors. You loose it, it will cost a lot more to get a replacement in time and money.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 3:57pm
I have a 66 parts book, but don't have a 65 book.

In 66, there are 3 different brake boosters shown for the Marlin. One for the 6 cylinder disc brakes, one for the 8 cylinder disc brakes, one for drum brakes.

I thought all Marlin come from the factory with front discs.

Also, the service manual shows that there are different rear brakes between a front disc, or front drum car. Duo servo with all drums, non servo rears with front discs.

This could all play in to your braking issues.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 5:48pm
All '65 Marlins had  power front disc and non-servo rear drum brakes.
In '66, the discs became optional.
Sounds like his car was converted to 4-wheel drum brakes which makes me wonder a) if the system is all matched up, and b) if the non-servo rear brakes were replaced with 'normal' duo-servo?
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I thought all Marlin come from the factory with front discs.

This could all play in to your braking issues.

I know the vast majority of '65s came with disc brakes. I think part of the issue is when my dad ordered brake parts he said "1965 Marlin" and it was assumed it had front disc instead of drums. I have already replaced the master cylinder with one that is for a drum/drum car.

The power booster I will be sending in is from (if I remember correctly as I have 2 spares) a 1966 Ambassador 4 door. I am hoping it had drum brakes as it was a lower optioned car, no A/C, 287, AM radio 

Any obvious differences between a disc/drum and a drum/drum power booster to make sure I am sending in the correct one?
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Sounds like his car was converted to 4-wheel drum brakes 

I am starting to think this is what happened sometime along the line.
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 6:25pm
Don't have the 65-66 parts books, but I'm finding it unusual that they changed the booster over changing the bore size of the master cylinder. My thought process is saying they did both using different suppliers.
If the car has always had poor braking and the booster does not leak, changing the master cylinder to a bore size up or down, you would think, be the solution to the problem.
Likely be able to verify this from the parts book.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic