TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manifold Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2021 at 3:35pm
Great information Jim.....that you for posting it !!!!!!!

I know you have embraced the idea of The Dominator/Torker for a long time....... and for a smaller volume head I think you are correct. I don't even think that a torker could be match ported to my SR heads without adding a lot of weld on the ouside of the torker s runners ?

My gut tells me it is not enough intake manifold to feed a 260 cc intake runner SR head @7500 rpm ??? Not enough runner/plenum volume is my gut instinct but I have NO proof to back up that assumption!

But....I have been wrong many times......and I want to learn more than I know now.

Please continue to educate me !

Thanks,
Rob
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2022 at 5:56pm
What's HLR....and SR heads....no clue what the abbreviations mean

1969 sst javelin restomod
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

Someone can correct me on this first part. I think S/R is a street replacement head from World Products. I know that HLR stands for Herman Lewis Racing. Herman was an AMX drag racer who fabricated his own intake. Herman died a few years ago, and he grew up about 25 miles from me in Erwin, TN, and later moved to West Virginia. He built an engine for me about 30 years ago.
acm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2022 at 11:16pm

SR's are the dogleg Indy heads.
acm
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2022 at 7:54am
Check the engine masters intake test and the Wilson spacer results

Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by acm acm wrote:

SR's are the dogleg Indy heads.
   well no wonder that makes perfect sense :-)  my bad LOL 
1969 sst javelin restomod
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2022 at 2:26pm
The Indy SR heads keep the dogleg style exhaust port..... good for street ie: no custom headers....but are what I would consider a medium cubic inch capable race level head with work. There is enough meat in their cores to get them to get 260cc intake port runners which is a very good combination for a 401 or 426 and 434 stroker in a high horsepower street trim or all out race engine at that cubic inch level.

They are flow limited mostly by the size of the valves. There is no valve spacing to go past a 2.125/1.65 valves so additional port volume past 260 cc is counter intuitive. To get the full 260cc volume you must move the pushrods over and use offset rocker arms as well as raise the port height considerably.

If you may ever want to push past the 750 HP level NA go with the larger Indy -1 race head right off the bat.
garland performce View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garland performce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2022 at 7:08pm
What flow #s did you get from your S/R heads

DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2022 at 1:05pm
I don't have my flow sheets at work with me.

Off the top of my head Intake at .500 valve lift 305 cfm,  at .750 lift 345 cfm,  .800 lift about 350cfm and stagnant or losing a after that. The exhaust generally in the 245 range. A litle bit more than 2/3 intake of intake flow.

The cfm numbers probably are not as important as having the correct port volume for the cubic inches you are running.

But it is a lot of work. Buy a set of the -1 heads with either the 260cc or 300cc port volume depending on the cubic inch you are running. I wish I would have I could have saved money. At the time I bought the SR's back in 2004 I thought I was just building a hot street car not an race car.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Feb/06/2022 at 2:36pm
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 5:48am
im a big tunnel ram guy  always have been.   i have a chance to get a Edelbrock UR-18. bit more money than i was hoping but after looking into it ... it kinda is a good price and will go well with the heads i got. so if its still around after the S/C is on the road (soon) il be going that way. cpllecting parts as i go in the hopes of making a bath tub nash go 9's with all AMC power.  a tunnel ram will help. 
its the little things that make the biggest difference
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic