TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Main Bearings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Main Bearings
    Posted: May/17/2021 at 11:20am
 What main bearings are being used for 401. I bought cleveite std set and the tab is missing on one bearing. I have used King in the past but they have no plans on making any more! I have never run into so many problems trying to find AMC parts. No cams, Bearings? Trying to buy a Cometic .027 head gasket, no luck! I know the cams are covid related. Any help would be great.

AMC Forever
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2021 at 2:09pm
I have 2 engines apart and was planning to build in the next couple of months.
Your right, no King bearings to be found and the price of Cleveite is x4 at NAPA from a year ago and no-one seems to have any in stock? 
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2021 at 2:47pm
What size mains are you looking for
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2021 at 3:02pm
Me. I'll be trying to get 2xSTD and 2x0.001" under. I polish my own crankshafts so I'll mix and match to get my clearance.
If you have a reasonable source for bearings, that would be great. NAPA CA want's $247 for just one set and none in stock. Last year I bought 2 sets of Kings for $65 each from CarQuest.
I don't have to build these right now. Just thought I'd start getting the parts together.
And they say higher inflation is likely not going to happen for several years!!!

I was placing a RockAuto order today for some other parts and looked at mid 70's Jeep 304's. They were in stock for Clevite's STD for $101 so bought a couple of sets of those. 290 to 401 main's are the same  AMC or Jeep.
I liked King's but...

Edited by Trader - May/17/2021 at 3:43pm
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2021 at 6:40pm
I think I have a set of standards here. I should be able to get .001's within a week. If interested pm me 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2021 at 9:06pm
I just bought 4 sets from Summit in stock today  2 Standard 1 .010 and 1 .020
Search by brand and then engine type.
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2021 at 6:19am
Originally posted by kracex kracex wrote:

I just bought 4 sets from Summit in stock today  2 Standard 1 .010 and 1 .020
Search by brand and then engine type.

The standard sized Clevite MS-1733A fits AMC and others.

Because I have not kept track of bearing changes and all, there seems to be major price differences betwewn the three offered. Sealed Power and Clevite seem to be the only ones with .001 and standard available. If the universal standard bearing fits, why not look at Olds and Pontiac bearings?

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2021 at 7:22am
The Clevite # for AMC 290 - 401 is MS-1041P.
 I've been trying to find the crankshaft specs for the Clevite MS-1733A that are listed for the AMC 2.5l or 1500 4 cylinder. Will keep looking later today.

304-dude, are you saying the 2.5l and 290 -4 01 use the same main bearings? This is confirmed?
If so this opens up a lot more options as the 2.5l shares the same main bearings as several GM products.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2021 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The Clevite # for AMC 290 - 401 is MS-1041P.
 I've been trying to find the crankshaft specs for the Clevite MS-1733A that are listed for the AMC 2.5l or 1500 4 cylinder. Will keep looking later today.

304-dude, are you saying the 2.5l and 290 -4 01 use the same main bearings? This is confirmed?
If so this opens up a lot more options as the 2.5l shares the same main bearings as several GM products.

Well, it was a question about what I saw from the search. I was looking at V8 bearings, and saw the part number and brought it up, in hopes some builders may bring more information on possible compatabilities, and good options for part numbers for those who can't obtain King bearings.

I have yet to verify my crank being standard, no groves noticable with finger nail, milage unknown, untouched. Was contemplating going to 10 under just because of availablity of bearings, when I do get around the rebuild. Seeing .001 under bearings still being avaliable, makes me think my options are not so limited. ProstockTom and others know their stuff and offer assistance with parts time to time. Who knows King bearings may be easier to obtain just by asking here.

There was a thread on using other engine bearings, but it escapes me on rod or main bearing, engine compatibility and what mods were to be done.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
lrallen View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2021 at 7:29pm
Summit had no King in std.
AMC Forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic