TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M-12 to GM 700R4 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 6:42pm
AMC lives web site has an adapter to go early crank to 727. It should only require the spacer ring installed to fit a 400 turbo. If the converter snout in a 700 or other GM trans are the same your good. The converter can always be built to fit, so a M 12 snout on the GM would also solve the problem
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by jblue1155 jblue1155 wrote:

AMC lives web site has an adapter to go early crank to 727. It should only require the spacer ring installed to fit a 400 turbo. If the converter snout in a 700 or other GM trans are the same your good. The converter can always be built to fit, so a M 12 snout on the GM would also solve the problem

Looking at the Novak kit, it has flex plate spacers, presumably these go between the Flex plate and the torque convertor? If this is the case then the Crank adapter ring as per the AMC Lives kit would move the whole flex plate back and hopefully eliminate the Novak flex plate spacers, might work, possibly with the GM TH400 adapter ring pressed into the crank adapter rather than the Novak supplied one.

As mentioned previously, stick the BW auto and any other parts you take off in the back of the shed, just in case some purist want's to put it back to original sometime in the future. Most people will appreciate having the extra gear as it makes the car more user friendly. 

I have read previously that the GM 2004R is a little smaller and will fit into the tunnel easier than the 700R4 which I belive requires a little bit of hammer work for clearance.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 7:44pm
Could do the 500A with just the AMC Lives kit also. Always easier said then done for any of these of course!
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 8:06pm
I'm curious if you looked at Advance Adapters?  They probably have the same issue with your year/390 that Novak does, and their website doesn't give much info. But, they might have something that isn't listed on the site.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Could do the 500A with just the AMC Lives kit also. Always easier said then done for any of these of course!

A-500/A-518 are Chrysler transmissions, there is no AMC case options that would bolt up to an AMC engine, I have often wondered if the AMC TF727 or TF904 case/transmission could be modified to take the overdrive unit from the Mopar transmissions, have never seen or heard of it being done, bust seems like it would be possible.

*** Correction, as per Ken's post below, there was an AMC version of the A500, handy to know.

Edited by WesternRed - Mar/15/2023 at 8:40am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 10:33pm
This is the adapter to install a GM transmission to an amc, it would work on all gen two and three engines. The small round piece in the center is what presses into the stepped flange crankshaft where the torque converter hub normaly fits.This piece would need to be modified to work in a flat flange crank. The small step to the right in the picture would need to be the size of pilot hole in the crankshaft. My guess is the outside diameter near the crank should be the size of the crank hub adapter should be the size of the step on a flanged crankshaft. This would give a place for the newer flexplate to center on.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 10:40pm
The flexplate that comes with the kit is a 727 flexplate that has been modified to bolt a GM torque converter to. The four sets of holes with arrows pointing to them are factory torque flite converter holes. The three holes circled are added to allow the GM converter to be bolted to it. The spacers setting on the flexplate are needed to compensate for the thickness of the adapter. 
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2023 at 7:50am
The A500 is a bolt up to the V8 as they came in Grand Cherokees with the AMC 4.0. It's quite doable and fits in a stock transmission tunnel.

You do need to crossbreed a 42RE from a GC and a 2wd hydraulic OD section from a Ram truck, but it is bolt together. You can either buy a controller or make your own to control the converter lock and the OD. Standard Mopar upgrades are doable for improved strength.

In the car you need to make a new crossmember and shorten the driveshaft. No adapters needed, flexplate bellhousing, and converter (pre 96) bolt up, shift linkage and kickdown linkage fit. Needs a longer speedometer cable.

There are some running changes on the A500 so it is good to use the later upgraded oil supply.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2023 at 8:05am
And considering that it costs approximately $2000 to rebuild a transmission, even forgoing the core charge, these are a reasonable cost:
You would have to ask about any extra costs of the upgrades that Ken has mentioned, but if you read their web page it looks like the upgrades are included in their rebuilds.
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2023 at 8:41am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

A-500/A-518 are Chrysler transmissions, there is no AMC case options that would bolt up to an AMC engine, I have often wondered if the AMC TF727 or TF904 case/transmission could be modified to take the overdrive unit from the Mopar transmissions, have never seen or heard of it being done, bust seems like it would be possible.

No, if you look at 46rh/a-518 the case is longer and wider than a 727. I swapped a 727 for a 46rh in my charger and can tell you they are not even close.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic