TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

LVLP Paint Spray Guns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LVLP Paint Spray Guns
    Posted: Feb/13/2023 at 10:09pm
I bought a LVLP (low volume, low pressure) spray gun a couple years ago, but the plastic paint cup cracked the second time I used it.  I never got around to replacing it so have been using my usual HVLP (high volume, low pressure) guns instead.  I just replaced the cup and have been painting with the LVLP gun the last couple days.  I'm not sure it would be the best choice for painting an entire car, but for just about anything else it will become my go-to paint gun from now on. LVLP guns have much less overspray, use much less air and much less paint.  I have a decent compressor, so the air isn't of much concern to me, but with paint being close to $60 a quart I'm all for using less of it.  The best part to me though is having less overspray.  I equate the paint volume and pressure to slightly more than what you'd experience with a good spray can, but the paint goes on nice and smooth and I feel more in control of how the paint is being laid down.  

Mine is a $50 Chinese gun that I bought off Amazon.  I have no other LVLP guns to compare it to, so I don't consider this a review of my particular gun but LVLP guns in general.  Nevertheless, it works every bit as well as my $250 HVLP gun and is more enjoyable to paint with.  That said, it takes more passes to cover, so HVLP might be the best choice for very large jobs.

I'm curious to hear from others who have tried LVLP guns and what your experience has been.

Edited by CamJam - Feb/14/2023 at 12:00am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2023 at 10:46pm
cam--i use an airbrush on small parts/areas.  can't afford the "big guns" yet!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2023 at 9:30pm
I prefer to use an LVLP for waterborne and thinner materials only. They don't spray thicker materials very well. They also have a lower tranfer efficiency than an HVLP. I use an HVLP for most base coats, epoxy primers, and things of the sort. I use a conventional that I've had for about 30 years for clear coat on large projects like completes or full panels because I get better laydown with it. I use a small HVLP detail gun with the pressure turned up for parts painting. To be fair, my waterborne experience is EXTREMELY limited and I don't care for the LVLP guns otherwise. But I also have a 60gal twin cylinder shop air compressor. If you're compressor won't maintain at least 15cfm that really limits you to the LVLP style guns. Most of the people I've found that have problems with their HVLP gun is due to their compressor not the gun. I've sprayed some really decent jobs with a HF HVLP because my compressor can keep up, but I've also tried spraying with one of my better guns and a smaller compressor and really struggled with laydown.
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2023 at 9:23am
Have you tried the divilbis decups system?  Once I tried it I will never go back to the standard cup.
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2023 at 10:01am
Originally posted by iapexl8r iapexl8r wrote:

Have you tried the divilbis decups system?  Once I tried it I will never go back to the standard cup.

I haven't used the Dekups, but I have sprayed with the 3M PPS system and liked it. I haven't made the switch to a disposable setup yet, but it's on my list. Maybe this year. I do think is a person is going to invest in some spraying equipment and does much at all, they really should consider it.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2023 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Regamble1969 Regamble1969 wrote:

I prefer to use an LVLP for waterborne and thinner materials only. They don't spray thicker materials very well. They also have a lower tranfer efficiency than an HVLP. I use an HVLP for most base coats, epoxy primers, and things of the sort. I use a conventional that I've had for about 30 years for clear coat on large projects like completes or full panels because I get better laydown with it. I use a small HVLP detail gun with the pressure turned up for parts painting. To be fair, my waterborne experience is EXTREMELY limited and I don't care for the LVLP guns otherwise. But I also have a 60gal twin cylinder shop air compressor. If you're compressor won't maintain at least 15cfm that really limits you to the LVLP style guns. Most of the people I've found that have problems with their HVLP gun is due to their compressor not the gun. I've sprayed some really decent jobs with a HF HVLP because my compressor can keep up, but I've also tried spraying with one of my better guns and a smaller compressor and really struggled with laydown.

Interesting to hear your experience. I also prefer to use the HVLP for epoxy primer, but really like how the LVLP lays down acrylic enamels.  It's still new to me, so maybe in time I'll see some LVLP weaknesses that aren't apparent to me yet.  My compressor is about the same size as yours, so air consumption isn't an issue, but I like that overspray is reduced as I'm usually painting in a confined space.

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2023 at 10:49am

I have not used a LVLP gun and did not know there was one?
I dont think I am going to run out and get one as I am happy with the HVLP guns I have now.

I got the 3 gun Start Line kit from Summit Racing years ago when on sale.
I has a small touch up gun, large primer & paint guns. I have only used the touch up & large paint, I use a Binks #7 for primer.

I changed all the guns over to the DeKup setup even the small touch up with the larger cup.
I love how easy the clean up is with the Dekups.

I like the Start Line guns, think they spray pretty good with the single stage I did on my 81 Ford F100 pick up truck that I did a 4 year cab off frame rebuild on. Yes there was some over spray but I was ready for that from past full paint jobs using Binks #7 guns.

Compressor was not an issue with a 80 gallon 2 stage that shuts off at 175 (turned down from 190) PSI.
System has a air drier and 5 hose drops in a 2 large bay garage.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2023 at 1:14pm
call me spoiled but I always try to rent a booth for the color and clear. primer is done in the home shop With a good booth and a spray plan, over spray is greatly reduced. renting a booth can take some leg work but the end result is wort it.
 this one was done at the local community college for a little cash and some materials that I didn't end up using
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2023 at 5:27pm

call me spoiled but I always try to rent a booth for the color and clear. primer is done in the home shop With a good booth and a spray plan, over spray is greatly reduced. renting a booth can take some leg work but the end result is wort it.
 this one was done at the local community college for a little cash and some materials that I didn't end up using

I'd love to have access to a paint booth.  No commercial ones for rent around here as I live in the sticks.  Maybe I should check with the local high school though, as they have a pretty active auto shop program and are the recipient of proceeds from a local car show every year.  Perhaps that might make them more willing to help out?

iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2023 at 8:46am
If you local high school has access to a paint booth that would probably be your best bet, donated materials go a long way in those situations. I have actually just walked up to body shops and inquired about booth rental, if you go that route be sure to stress your under standing for the need of cleanleness. alot of them close on the weekend so the booth is available from friday after 5:00 till sunday. I always take a vaccuum and do a deep clean on the booth before i bring the car in, and be sure to leave it clean when I leave.
      Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic