TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Final Chapter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

lost footage of factory tour and more

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bsochacki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lost footage of factory tour and more
    Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 6:46am
https://jalopnik.com/watch-long-lost-factory-tour-footage-of-american-motors-1831869754 - https://jalopnik.com/watch-long-lost-factory-tour-footage-of-american-motors-1831869754  there are several videos - pause on the video and you will see them.  i am sure there are more out there. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 10:25pm
Neat.  Thanks for posting.  
As I've said before, the Kenosha factory was terribly inefficient and outdated.  Transporting partially assembled vehicles around to final assy???   Maybe that was ok in 1950.  In 1981 AMC was still doing things like they were in the 1950s-60s- almost everything by hand.  GM was using robotic spot welding in the mid 1970s, and simple 1 axis automatic spot welding in ~1971.  You can't compete when you're 20+ years behind your competitors in assembly technique and using twice the labor.
bsochacki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsochacki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 3:29pm
i understand the quality from kenosha was the highest and the employees were paid the highest of all the plants.  don't know if that is true of course. 
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 4:54pm
Wheres the video link? Just a text story I see no where to click for the video. I know I'm blind but.
Help. LOL
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

bsochacki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsochacki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by einbier einbier wrote:

Wheres the video link? Just a text story I see no where to click for the video. I know I'm blind but.
Help. LOL

Wink i understand and am far sighted.  it is in the link i provided.  scroll down - between paragraph 3 and 4.  click on the image.
RogerS. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 9:22am
Thanks for sharing this.
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2022 at 9:49am

Help. LOL

Guess I'm a dummy.  No video link in sight!

Maybe someone could be so good as to simply post the URL to the video without the need to go on a hunting expedition?
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Neat.  Thanks for posting.  
As I've said before, the Kenosha factory was terribly inefficient and outdated.  Transporting partially assembled vehicles around to final assy???   Maybe that was ok in 1950.  In 1981 AMC was still doing things like they were in the 1950s-60s- almost everything by hand.  GM was using robotic spot welding in the mid 1970s, and simple 1 axis automatic spot welding in ~1971.  You can't compete when you're 20+ years behind your competitors in assembly technique and using twice the labor.

I don’t think AMC’s production numbers ever really justified the expense. Back in the Rambler days when they were producing fairly big numbers, the technology wasn’t there. In ‘81, they were producing far fewer cars with a low profit margin and couldn’t justify the investment even if they had the cash available, which they didn’t. Even in the late 60’s, one GM division probably produced more vehicles in one month than what AMC produced of all models in one year. Demand drives improvements in efficiency and productivity. 
bsochacki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsochacki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2022 at 10:19am
Originally posted by roadventure roadventure wrote:

Help. LOL

Guess I'm a dummy.  No video link in sight!

Maybe someone could be so good as to simply post the URL to the video without the need to go on a hunting expedition?

no you are not a dummy!   it is not a link, it is an embedded video. Wink if you are not seeing it, then it might be a technology issue (browser, etc.)  Here is the farcebook site that the embedded video references in the story:  https://www.facebook.com/AmericanMotorsMovie/videos/255250005369384/?t=0

https://jalopnik.com/watch-long-lost-factory-tour-footage-of-american-motors-1831869754

Edited by bsochacki - Sep/06/2022 at 10:46am
rambler american 440
48K miles 232 I6 2 door
hardtop
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2022 at 11:13am
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic