TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 44>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 3:53pm
What ever happened to this prototype 72/ and or the follow up story of the car?
72AMXJavProto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2021 at 12:20am
Sorry for the long absence from the forum regarding the car.  I've just sold my home in Simi Valley, CA where the car has been kept for the last 38 years and had been busy preparing the house for sale and moving my AMC collection to Wisconsin and my other house in SoCal.  I've moved the Pre-Production Prototype car to Rosamond, CA for the time being with the plan to move it to Kiel, WI  next spring.  I should have time to get a photo of the door tag posted within a few weeks.  The car hasn't been driven in 25 years, but I plan to get it running again this winter now that I am retired.
RamblRumble_63_19 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblRumble_63_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2021 at 8:16pm
Does anyone have historical info on a dealership named Warwick Motors in New Mexico? That's where my '63 Ambassador came from. Still has the decal on the back :)
Unique gearhead, overcoming life's obstacles.
'63 Rambler Ambassador 880 Original. 327 61k miles.
Link=> https://garagehotrods.com/2020/10/16/joey-shelbys-63-amc-rambler-ambassador/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2021 at 10:24am
The dealership lists I made start on page 10 of this forum. Start by looking there.
Frank Swygert
Autostocks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autostocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2022 at 7:56pm
There is some great info here and I have enjoyed reading through most of it.  However, unless I am missing something, I am not seeing references to dealer codes in the FARNA list of dealers.

While working on my 86 Jeep Cherokee today, I was thrilled to find the Vehicle Building Order (the broadcast sheet that accompanied my Jeep through its assembly process) taped to the inner panel of the front passenger door.  The Jeep was apparently built for dealer #7465 in zone 25, or, as I believe was the normal way of displaying the dealer code, 25-7465.

Can anyone identify what dealer this was, or point me to a reference list that includes dealer numbers?

By the way, my father-in-law was a Jeep dealer in Detroit from 1965 until Jeep was acquired by AMC in 1970.  Interestingly, the dealership was known as Joe Dwyer Imports, as he sold Fiat, Volvo, and Triumph alongside the Jeeps.  Back then, the dealership was located on Grand River Avenue near 7 Mile Rd., and as far as I know, the building is still there.  I realize this forum is dedicated to AMC, but thought I'd share in case anyone is interested. Smile
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2022 at 8:15pm
I think Zone 25 was a Jeep sales zone.  I think the AMC sales zones all had even numbers.   If you can find the glove box manual for close to the year of your Jeep, the sales zones should be listed along with the warranty information in the book.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 7:32am
There are a few dealer codes in the list. When I find them I put them in the listing with the dealer. I've never found a complete code list, just get one every now and then when someone posts a sales invoice or window sticker, or some other original sales paperwork. I've got a few from E-bay listings and original owner warranty cards from the 60s.
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autostocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 1:25pm
Thanks Frank, I do see a few codes on the list now.

Am I looking at the most recent list?  The ones I am looking at (here on page 10 of this thread, and at route66rambler.com) both say the last update was in 2007.  Surely there have been updates since then?  For example, there is a confirmation of a dealer code for Greenfield AMC in Detroit here at about page 37, and yet I don't see that code on either of the list versions.  Is there a more recent version I should be searching?

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autostocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2022 at 3:25pm
No glove box manual, but good call on the odd numbers vs. the even numbers.  After spending more time on the internet, I'm starting to think the Jeep zone numbers were the same as the AMC number + 1.  So I think Jeep zone 25 might be the same as AMC zone 24 (Denver).
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2022 at 10:43am
I've made a few updates since then, but not many. Info is hard to find, I collect it when I can! I'll upload the latest lists and attach links below.

Edited by farna - Oct/03/2022 at 10:51am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 44>
  Share Topic