TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

LOOKING OVER THE EDGE OF A ROOF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOOKING OVER THE EDGE OF A ROOF
    Posted: May/11/2022 at 3:00pm
Does anyone have a picture of a saw cut through the roof above a door on a late model Javelin - mines a '72. -   My roof gutters are toast and the chrome is barely hanging on and I'm wanting to see how the sheet metal overlaps and devise a plan to fix them with as minimal welding on the roof skin as possible.  The rest of the roof is OK, a few pinholes and surface rust from the vinyl, but the pinch weld over the doors are gone.
Thanks

72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of a saw cut through the roof above a door on a late model Javelin - mines a '72. -   My roof gutters are toast and the chrome is barely hanging on and I'm wanting to see how the sheet metal overlaps and devise a plan to fix them with as minimal welding on the roof skin as possible.  The rest of the roof is OK, a few pinholes and surface rust from the vinyl, but the pinch weld over the doors are gone.
Thanks

SceneOne has a thread called 3rd Time's is a Charm.

https://theamcforum.com/forum/71-amx-3rd-time-is-a-charm_topic57728.html?KW=Javelin

Edited by 304-dude - May/11/2022 at 3:12pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2022 at 4:04pm
IMO you're probably better off replacing the whole roof. That skin might be worse than what you think if you haven't removed the rust from it yet plus replacing the whole roof might be less work than trying to patch it up and getting it straight again.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2022 at 5:16pm
The roof is lapped over the part that contains the framing for the sides of the car. They both lay flat against each other the width of the gutter and are spot welded together along the length. So if your gutters are rotted out it's actually two pieces of metal that are gone, not just one. I cut the gutter's off of my Hornet project so they would be smooth and more aerodynamic like the bodies on the Pro Stock Hornets were in the 70's. In my opinion this can be the worst thing to deal with on restoring a car if they are rusted out bad since there is no easy way to replace them without a donor car or a lot of custom bending and welding.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2022 at 5:33pm
the rest of the roof is not bad. I'm not going to get into a full resto with this one.  My plan is to get the rails fixed (or gone) fix a few spots, clean out around the studs for the trim, get it as smooth as possible, paint and then a wrap to match the orig. vinyl pattern.  there is one spot on the drivers A pillar thats fixable.  I got the TIG and a big box of hammers and dollies if it comes down to it.  i imagine a whole roof is about as easy to find as most other AMC stuff - hard.  thx
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2022 at 5:40pm
yeah, I see how it looks in the TSM, and I can see the spot welds underneath - where the rail still survives.  I was just looking at if I could cut both upper and lower lips off, get a strip of metal and tack it to the underside of the structural rail for the trim to fit on to, then tack the roof panel to that piece and seal it up.  I just need to get a grip on how all those pieces in the door arch come together.
patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2022 at 10:05am
This is the quarter drivers side roof line. Holes are where spot welds were cut from above after the outer section of roof metal was cut off. The roof rail was spot welded on and the outer skin was spot welded to the roof rail.

Edited by patrec - May/17/2022 at 10:04am
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 4:50pm
Thanks Patrec.  I can kinda see it now.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic