TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Looking for 360 Build Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 4:32am
While roller cams solve the issue of wiped cam lobes, they are not without risk, plenty of modern engines with OEM roller cams suffer from lifter failure.

I had a roller lifter break the metering plate in the lifter, this of course can happen with a regular hydraulic flat tappet lifter, but they are a high dollar part, so if something does go wrong it is a costly part to replace as well.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 7:31am
Anything cam fail at anytime whether stock or upgraded. Chances are, hydraulic roller lifters and typical spring pressures associated with them will last for many years. 

I've used flat tappet cams up until about one year ago and they work great when they do not fail. Like I said earlier, in my position, for the money it costs to use a roller, its not worth chancing flat tappets anymore. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 8:07am
Yes, it does seem like making flat tappet lifters is now a lost art. I can understand not wanting to get caught up in a warranty issue, which is going to be on your hands and not the lifter manufacturer’s. It’s a shame it just gets more expensive to keep our old cars going.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 10:23am
So what changed with flat tappets one year ago? 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 11:09am

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Aug/10/2022 at 12:21am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Lost cams in three engines. One of them was the low compression 360 posted earlier.  

rbjracing.com
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Lost cams in three engines. One of them was the low compression 360 posted earlier.  

Um, mine was built about a year and a half ago (February 2021) with a Bullet cam with flat tappets. 

254/267 deg. advertised duration, 206/214 @ .050, .490”/.510” lift, 113* LSA, installed at 109*
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 4:05pm

Stout cams or mild? Also what brand lifters, or were they different.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 5:09pm
One was a Bullet cam with Johnson lifters, the other two were mild MT1-A with Elgin lifters. Elgin said it was not their lifters because they did not have .904 cores for a year prior so who knows what brand was in the box. 

One baby cam with 85/260 closed and open wiped hard on the run stand I had at the time and one made it 300 miles after making it off the run stand. 

The Bullet wiped on the local dyno I was using at the time

Lifter to bore clearance was fine on all, oil primed before start up, fired right up. I think the Bullet cam had 330-340 open but not positive 

rbjracing.com
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 6:10pm

One was a Bullet cam with Johnson lifters, the other two were mild MT1-A with Elgin lifters. Elgin said it was not their lifters because they did not have .904 cores for a year prior so who knows what brand was in the box. 

One baby cam with 85/260 closed and open wiped hard on the run stand I had at the time and one made it 300 miles after making it off the run stand. 

The Bullet wiped on the local dyno I was using at the time

Lifter to bore clearance was fine on all, oil primed before start up, fired right up. I think the Bullet cam had 330-340 open but not positive 

Uggh, was afraid you'd say something like that. Kind of sucks because I'm going to play with an L6 and they don't even have a roller option far as I know. May be different if I could discard it as being just too aggressive of a cam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic