TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Look what followed me home -- 61 American convert!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Look what followed me home -- 61 American convert!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look what followed me home -- 61 American convert!
    Posted: Nov/27/2022 at 12:25pm
I haven't built a Rambler since building my wagon in 2003. I've been wanting to build a roadster, but what I want to do might honestly be more than I really want to (or should) tackle. I might yet, but in the meantime I was looking for something that might be better than what I have to start with, and ran across a 61 American convertible that looked good in photos and was priced right on Facebook Marketplace. I messaged the guy and told him if he'd take my offer I'd drive up and get it in a couple days (26 NOV). He said he would, but I needed to come see it. Anyway, I drove up, it was in much better shape than I'd hoped, and we loaded it on the trailer.

Now my wife wouldn't mind having a 64-66 Mustang, but I'm just not a fan of something everyone seems to want and you see plenty of. But she looked at the pics of this, and while the first thing out of her mouth was "why not a Mustang" (she knows the answer!), she said if you want it let's go get it! We did. On the way home as she contemplated it riding the trailer, she said "you know... it is kind of cute..." She said it reluctantly. Then she told me what I could and couldn't do. Not much customizing. Keep it looking like a Rambler (I had some ideas from the roadster idea I was considering... maybe not now!). She want's to keep the saddle tan interior -- mainly because it's newly upholstered (I wanted to replace the bench seat with tan buckets... maybe at some point, but bench stays for now). But I do intend to replace the 195.6 with a modern four (possibly a Jeep 2.5L like WARBED did in his 59 American). The 195.6 runs and the M-35 works (as far as I know), but the brakes are gone - literally in a box of parts where last owner started before deciding this was going to be more than he could handle. Might get discs all the way around. I'm never going to put anything in it that the AMC 15 can't handle, so plan on keeping it. Hopefully it has the optional 3.31 axle instead of the stock 2.86. It's a 1V carb. Floors are PERFECT!!! I don't think I've seen ANY 61-63 American with floors this good -- absolutely NO rust in floors or truck... really ANYWHERE I can see!! It has been painted not long ago though (well, within last 10 years), so may be something covered up, but from the condition of the original floors I doubt it. It's been kept under a shed nearly all the time, obviously.

Only options appear to be AM radio and power steering (old cross ram type... will probably go). The top hydraulic pump has been replaced with a new or rebuilt model (label on it says use ATF, originals used brake fluid). No leaks in the top hydraulics I can see. Top is gone but all structure is there and works (supposedly, I haven't fully checked it out but PO said it did). The front end needs work and will probably get a custom work-over. TomJ and I had discussed using some adjustable dirt track arms and ball joints with Mustang II spindles (if I go that way will use a rack, possibly manual). A guy on the HAMB made custom arms that fit the Rambler mounts (Laun's Toy Shop), and member WARBED welded plates to the original arms of his 58 American and used Matador spindles (MII rack, Pacer steering arms). Not sure what to do there, but I know one of the lower trunnions is damages (I think froze and egg shaped holes in arm) and the front shocks are gone. I have a couple parts cars so I may just rebuild it and make some shock adapters. I want to go with air springs too. Might just remove some short leafs from the springs in the back and use the two long leaves as locators with air springs on top of axle. That's how some of the mini truck guys do it.

For now I'm going to think about my brake and front end options and fix those, then drive it on the 195.6 for a bit as I look for a newer model engine. The 196 might stay a while, but I want something I can just jump in and go with. Yeah, the 196 can be made reliable, but if something like a water pump goes out on a trip you're stuck. I may change my mind, but I'm reasonably sure I'm going to do an engine swap at some point.

Edited by farna - Mar/22/2023 at 7:21am
Frank Swygert
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2022 at 1:31pm
Thumbs Up
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2022 at 2:36pm
Looks great! That is an exciting project!!!
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2022 at 4:18pm
Congrats and good luck! It will be awesome watching your progress.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 7:35pm
Wow, nice! The little breadboxes are worthy projects. The problems are all quite knowable. Yeah the suspension and engine (which is code for, transmission : - )

Talk to Sean Crane about suspensions, he's been gathering parts for his pair of cars. If you have good parts the stock system works great. I can make you a pair of lower shock mounts, just let me know. I don't have spacers at the moment, I have to buy precuts and machine them, but the stock ones work. I can get you a set of urethane inserts and I found store-bought shims, no more making them from phenolic. So it's not all that hard.

I'm with ya on the engine. From my current POV, the only viable stock solution is a 195.6 OHV with the 1965 cooling mod (easy to do) and the T35 auto with throttle cable. 62, 63 I think. The T96 is just junk now. The T35 will never leave you stranded once built. From experience, the torque multiplication of the auto makes it quite fine.

The T5 shifter location won't work with factory seats, but allegedly an S10 shifter setup helps, but tbh without junkyards shopping the parts is prohibitive for me. In my wagon I prefer the T35.

A modest four is fine. 150 hp will be a substantial step up if you gear it right.  Personally I was leaning towards the 22R largely because my local shop does a lot of them and parts are common out here. But Warbed's 2.5L sounds great!

Other than those admittedly serious shortcomings -- suspension, trans(engine), big nut axle -- the car is a dream to work on and drive. Small but not cramped or tiny. Everything's repairable. Standard fasteners. Things like door hinges are overbuilt Nash parts. Simple and reliable.

Scarebird discs you know of course, but consider a 9 x 2.5" drum setup from a 1968 or so. Those brake parts are common and still cheap. It takes extra effort these days, to find quality shoes, and have them arced to the drum, but they are more than adequate. You probably get more rain than me, so maybe Scarebird is best.

I think the reason these cars are getting looked at now, as opposed to 20 years ago, is the hassle of dealing with those shortcomings wasn't worth it, then. Now, you don't find 50, 60 year old cars in usable shape. They're all project cores. Since they're cores you look at them different, not "slap some bushings in and drive". Those days are long gone.

There's a solidity to these odd little cars that makes them very pleasant to drive. Small, slow, odd looking, lol, but they don't feel cheap, scrimped, or tiny.  Two tall people in front is *comfortable* on long drives. My '60 is far, far quieter than my '68. What a noisy tub that was! New suspension, tires, springs, holes sealed, dynamat, new carpet and thick pad. Still LOUD on long trips. Terrible air flow even with the vent windows.

I don't think you'll regret this car project.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 12:45am
Congrat's Tom and a perfect car for socal, as you have many resources there
to help you get the car on the road.  It seems that Ane's group has a particular
interest in early sixties AMCs.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 1:40am
looks to be sold base and a convertible might make the wife happy good luck on the project
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMX09652 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX09652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 9:53am
That's a neat one!

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

"Deep in the heart of Texas"

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 8:32am
Not Tom's car, mine! Tom was just commenting...

I'll probably go disc brakes (at least in front) because it's really easiest. I ran big drums on a 62 American two door sedan years ago and did find that they stopped as good as discs though. Still, hard to beat common rotors and easy to change disc brake pads! I might go disc all the way around. Thinking Subaru front calipers (built in park brakes) for the rear instead of the more common GM though.

Will be at least a month before I can really get to doing a thorough evaluation of the front end -- that's my first priority in getting it back on the road. Once I see what condition it's in I'll know how to go.

I'll take you up on those shock mounts if I go with stock suspension Tom! I'll get in touch later... that's still 2-3 months off before I'll need any parts. Will look over your site on the front end again too. I'm real familiar with it, but your experience is a lot more recent than mine, and no point in reinventing the wheel... or bushings in this case!
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2022 at 11:46am
Your new car will be great. Sorry I blathered on, didn't mean to hijack. You are right, discs will be the easiest all around solution. The suspension parts are somewhat scarce but there's more people working on these cars now so they're around.

I'm interested in what solutions you come up with. The converts look like they're from an alternate universe. That's gonna be a great car!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic