TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

limits of AMC 20 rear ends

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 5:51pm
Good info, I'd be thinking to tie a rear end upgrade in with a rear spring relocation some time in the distant future.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Isn't a complete used Ford 8.8 less cost than a pair of AMC Model 20 Carrier Brgs, or R&P Set alone?

We just had to put new axle bearings and one new axle in my Nephew's pos ford pickup with a 8.8 and the local junkyard wanted $450.00 for two axles alone. We ended up putting one new NAPA axle and two new seals and bearings in it for $275.00
Years ago we narrowed a AMC20 with welded tubes, spring purches, Detroit Locker and Mosher axles in it and it would run low 10's and High 9's pulling the wheels in a American. Never broke it. It was pushing all of 600 hp.
nudhistbudhist View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 9:13pm
SC397:
I've found locally quite a difference in 8.8 prices as well. A pick n pull 1.5 hrs away got me an explorer 8.8 for under 300. The more local wrecker (20 mins away) wanted 650 for the same thing. I can only assume they understand the popularity of the unit with hot rodders
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 4:27am
I had a 9 in with 3.55's in a 70 i had with a 401 ...  engine went away before anything else did.
its the little things that make the biggest difference
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 5:14am
I have a Dana 60 sitting under a 70 Jav with Yukon Axles and Ford Disc Brakes, shame you are so far away!!!   It is for sale if anyone is looking, I have no idea of the ratio....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 6:05am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

I have a Dana 60 sitting under a 70 Jav with Yukon Axles and Ford Disc Brakes, shame you are so far away!!!   It is for sale if anyone is looking, I have no idea of the ratio....

Shame I'm so far away, I think postage would kill any deal Smile
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2022 at 11:06pm
Stich weld the tubes with some nickel rod. I plan to do this to mine with the 401 in my jeep. I have Moser 1 piece axles in mine. I had the factory axle break on me.. In a very ODD way.. I've been all over the country in my CJ. Went to leave my neighborhood one day, got to the stop sign, started to take off.. Vehicle shifted funny, then wouldn't move.. Put the parking break on, leaned under.. Driveshaft spinning.. Not good. Put it into 4 wheel to crawl back home. Parked it. Then went to backup and pull into the driveway.. Wheel shifts and stuffs into the wheel well. Had to jack it up, reset the wheel in place, then used my sister's jeeps front driver tire to hold mine into place driving back to where it sat.

Tear it all apart.. The 2 piece axle failed and broke at the woodruff key, or whatever that keyway for the 2 piece flange is called. It looked like it had been cracked for awhile with some corrosion. Then it just let loose. Probably would have killed me on the highway. 

Another note for the guy that bent his puller trying to get the hub/wheel bearing off.. Have a bucket of sand or something to catch the axle. Or torch/cut off the bearing /hub. I used a 20 ton press, it wouldn't budge. Then i heard it make a creaking sound, and the axle rocketed off at the garage floor at 200mph, left a quarter inch crater. Then bounced back up into the drywall. It was deafening.. Mom rushed out thinking i had died. Which, if it had bounced towards me instead of the wall. I probably would have. 
tball View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2023 at 7:16pm
Tom, what year range for Explorer rear? F150 also? Are they all posi? What is ballpark pricing for welding mods?  Thanks for your input--
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic