TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lifters for 2023.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifters for 2023.
    Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 1:30am
It's been a while since I last built and AMC six and things change. 

I built the last few engines using Melling stock replacement lifters. They click lightly when the oil is hot despite good oil pressure. Not loud, just a little bit, like solid lifters. One of them has done that for 40,000 miles. The original lifters were silent.

It would be nice to have lifters that are silent this time. 

What have you all used that are silent and last? This is literally my daily driver, so they need to be good. I don't need anything fancy, it's just a stock cam. 

Thanks. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 6:00am
The I6 and V8 take the same hydraulic lifters so you have your choices looking at both sections.
Topline Hylift Johnson made in the US A-2011
Rhoads
Melling/Seal Power/Elgin are the same made in Mexico now. Melling 290114 are their "performance" brand label.

I use the Melling's but put more effort then most into them. They come in boxes of 4 so I buy an extra box. Soak in mineral spirits for 24 hours, pump and flush, soak in 10 weight oil for 24 hours, pump and flush. any that jamb or do not feel smooth in operation go back in the return box. Sometimes I've had to buy 2 extra boxes for a V8!
Assume the higher end lifter companies are doing the up front quality control vs me doing it on the back end.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2023 at 3:01am
Here to report that the new engine is running with Hi Lift Johnson A-2011 lifters and has much less valve noise than the previous AMC sixes that I built using Melling lifters. Preload is set at .020". 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic