TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leaking into torque tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking into torque tube
    Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 12:32pm
After cleaning, sanding, painting - every part under my 64 Classic, I now have a beautiful car. However, I also have differential fluid leak coming from between the torque tube and the transmission. Cry A guy on here said that it is probably an oil seal for the pinion. What I think is the cause of this is that ether I forgot to put the seal back in when I put it back together or its just leaking. In any case I do not remember there being a seal at all or where it should go. I looked in my TSM and for the life of me cant find a diagram that shows the seal or where it goes. I'm going to take it back apart tonight but would really rather know what I'm looking for before I start.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE AWESOME!
Thanks
Graphic Designer / Weekend Classic Car Hobby.
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr hardtop
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 1:29pm
If you have the TSM for a 64 Cassic/Ambassador, look at figure 51 on page 16 under rear axle and propeller shaft. 

The pinion seal shows sitting in the rear oil seal retainer which is that tin looking collar with a flange that you see when the torque tube comes off.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 1:36pm
In other words the seal retainer flange goes between the housing flange and the torque tube flange.

From the diagram it looks like the seal surface rides on the coupling between the pinion shaft and the propeller shaft.
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 1:42pm
Correct, the seal is housed in a shell that is bolted between the torque tube and rear housing and seals against the coupler that is in-between the "drive shaft" and rear end. On my car, this coupler had a groove worn in it and no matter what I did the factory seal wouldn't keep the gear oil in. There is however a double lip seal that can be purchased that, in my case, solved the problem. I think that there are some pictures of mine when it was torn apart in my build thread.
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
1965 Rambler Marlin - Parts
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 CCLB
Graphic Spill View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 1:50pm
Maybe this will help. I have two pictures one of the torque tube side and one of the dif side. 

Those are pictures I took before I put it all back together.
If I follow correctly, it seems like the seal should seal around the shaft on the torque tube side? 

Looking at the seal(s) on: http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/axlemisc.htm Not sure I'm seeing the right one or maybe I am overlooking it.

Edited by Graphic Spill - Sep/05/2012 at 1:58pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 2:47pm
I think this is the one I need:  http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1839366
Would you guys agree?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 8:53pm
The TSM also shows a seal at the front of the coupling where it meets the prop shaft. Perhaps a bit of gasket cement I would think.

Looks like  in the upper picture the seal retainer is stuck in the end of the torque tube. 
If you remove it you should be able to find a number on the seal and maybe find it locally.

Did you seal the flange surfaces?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 2:02pm
Got the seal out yesterday. sure enough the rubber seal was split and not looking so good. I think probably got that way when I first removed the torque tube. 
Sure enough that little plate that the main bolts go through make up a cone style insert which fits into the end of the torque tube with seal on the inside. I overlooked it the first time thinking that it was part of the torque tube that should not be taken apart. 
Anyway.. Off to the parts store after work today, see if they have one in stock. otherwise that one on line that i posted before looks like its an exact match. That green stuff around it is some kind of sealer so that it seats well inside the tube. I found the same looking stuff in a ring around the inside where the seal seats. 
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 4:16pm
IIRC I put two of those seals in mine, it is a special seal, not a off the shelf oil seal.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 11:50am

Ok so I got the new seal in the housing for the torque converter. It was actually a pretty easy find once I took the old seal with me to the guys at my auto parts store. I may be somewhat lucky to have these guys around. They are a small shop but have a lot of hard to find parts, and lots of times they have it in stock. Anyway, Figured I would grease up the joints in the drive line before putting the rear back in. keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow brings good news and she runs smooth.

here are some pics of it. sorry a little fuzzy.

Old Seal:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic