TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lakewood Bellhousing not SFI??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lakewood Bellhousing not SFI??
    Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 7:54pm
I managed to find a Lakewood Bellhousing on Facebook with blockplate, hardware, instructions and in an original box.  I know, what a find!!!

It was painted black and had a sticker on the bellhousing but I wasn't too concerned about that until it arrived and I read the sticker:

WARNING 
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT S.F.I APPROVED FOR USE AS AN EXPLOSIVE PROOF BELLHOUSING.  IT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR USE AS AN EXPLOSION PROOF SAFETY DEVICE.  IT IS ONLYT TO BE USED AS AN ENGINE TO TRANSMISSION ADAPTER WHERE S.F.I. 6.1, 6.2 OR 6.3 CERTIFIED SAFETY BELLHOUSINGS ARE NOT REQUIRED.  THE MISSUSE OF THIS BELLHOUSING MAY RESULT IN SEVERE BODILY INJURY OR DEATH IF A CLUTCH OR FLYWHEEL EXPLOSION WERE TO OCCUR.  THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT MEET S.F.I. CONTAINMENT SPECIFICATIONS 6.1, 6.2 OR 6.3

The Housing has the following just above the starter:

NOT A SAFETY HOUSING

The Box had a label identifying:  
PART # 15411
BELLHOUSING, AMC

So, it is a little late but I have a couple questions:
1.  I haven't been able to get a Lakewood Catalog yet so I can't reference that, what is this thing for?  (I have advertised in wanted looking for a catalog.)
2.  I didn't see any PN stamped on this thing.  I think that where the "NOT A SAFETY HOUSING" is etched where the SFI would be etched.  I will have to check.
3.  Did LAKEWOOD make many applications of NON SFI Bellhousings for AMC/Jeep?
4.  The Pivot shaft seems to be about an inch in diameter.  If you have a catalog and are referencing it, perhaps there will be a recommendation for a specific or PN Pivot Shaft.    
5.  I was excited about getting the instructions, "LAKEWOOD BELLHOUSING Alignment Procedure", but they arrived ripped with some extra holes.  I am going to tape it together but would love to get a good copy of the directions.  Directions PN are 97140222 Revision 1.  (I believe they were written in 2002)

Thanks,
Dave

brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 8:34pm
I don’t know what the part number indicates.  My understanding is that Lakewood made black bells and red ones, the red ones come with SFI stickers and the black ones do not.  Other than being different colors they are identical.  At this point it is a non-issue though, as none of the old Lakewood housings are SFI legal at this point.  I was told the flange that bolts to the engine isn’t thick enough to pass the current tech requirements.  Lakewood did also make 3 different bells that I’m aware of, 2 are 8” deep and primarily are for AMC-T-10 application, one with and one without the “mouse ears” on the pad where the transmission bolts to.  The mouse ears give you a spot to bolt different transmissions to, like a Chrysler A-833, jerico, or G-Force.  They also made a 6.5” or so deep unit that I believe was primarily for Jeep T-18 guys, but will also accept a ford T-5 among others.  If you need the SFI approval I think the QuickTime 6.5” Chevy housing is the only off the shelf option.  There was rumors at one point that QuickTime was gonna make an 8” offering but I don’t know if it happened.  Browell will also make you a custom unit for $2000+.  Also, I have been racing my AMX with an old 8” Lakewood bell for a couple of years now and have never been bothered for having the non-SFI bell, they just ask the brand while getting teched.  Hope this helps, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:50pm
Brown Spirit,
I don't need the SFI rating.  I doubt I will be fast enough.  If tech throws me off the track, then I may reconsider.  I am primarily interested in the safety afforded over the aluminum bells.  My car will be street/strip.

This one is 6.5 inches deep.  The block plate has a number of welded on square nuts.  There are only 4 holes for mounting to the transmission.  Not like the dual pattern SR4/T5 AMC aluminum bellhousings.

This one has the ears and I have another that has ears.  I haven't compared them yet but that is on the agenda.  I was mostly concerned that most bells that I have seen are red and don't have stickers.  I am hopeful that the nice red paint isn't applied to a bellhousing that originally came as a black bellhousing.  

VR,
Dave
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:57pm
If your using a T-10, it sounds like you got the wrong bell.
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 9:04am
Ive never had a tech man check bellhousing cert on my Spirit. Raced all over with it.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 1:04pm
I have seen an AMC/Jeep Lakewood that was black but cant recall what tranny it was for.  It was NOT for an AMC T10.  At one point many years ago Lakewood made black non-sfi bellhousings for tranny swaps.....mostly for jeeps......I thought it was the T5 pattern but do not remember.

I think klvn8r here on the forum as one if I recall.
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 1:47pm
I have 4 of the lakewoods here, couple with ears and a couple without - I also reproduce the backing plate
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 11:19am
imo,
if it is the correct lenght for the trans your using... Run it..
It 100% will be safer than a factory alum. bell..
MAKE SURE YOU INDEX THE BELL TO YOUR BLOCK THO!!!!

1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 11:00pm
Thanks to all who replied.  I am in good shape with Bellhousings and block plates.  Pivots might get interesting next.  I only intend on running 2 cars with blowproof housings.  

I am still searching for a definitive answer on the part number.  Of course, the part doesn't have the part number stamped on it so it may or may not be right.  It surprises me that mfrs didn't stamp or mark their parts.

It is too bad that we don't have an updated Performance American Style that showed the aftermarket parts that were available.  I have thought about gathering the info but I probably would need to go visit some speed shops with old catalogs to pull the info.  Pistons might be a mess of trouble when we start looking at grinding cranks, changing rods and using other pistons.  

VR,
Dave
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 6:19am
15411 is the part number for a Lakewood AMC red bellhousing with a GM bolt pattern and depth.  Made to accommodate Muncie and T-10 transmissions. 6.45" depth and a 4.684" bearing retainer diameter.

They also made a black AMC adapter bellhousing part number 77-410 to assist in putting a V8 into Jeeps with a T150 3-speed transmission, an SR4, T4, or T1704 4-speed transmissions, or a T5 5-speed transmission.  6.312" depth and 4.684" bearing retainer diameter.

Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic