TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Killer 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 5:28am

I would not use the Indy heads without first welding the core holes.  Then resurface them.  And you better pressure test them, trust me on that one.

In my experience, Cometic/MLS gaskets are good to about 1000hp.  Past that you need copper and hoops.

Edited by stickshifter - May/27/2022 at 6:18am
   7.03 @ 196 mph
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 5:39am
This is the water seeping out around a spark plug hole on brand new heads after the first install.  I learned my lesson.

7.03 @ 196 mph
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 6:16am
While I'm at it, here are a couple more things to be concerned about with the Indy heady.

The half size outer bolt bosses crack.  They are very thin there and need to be welded and then machined.

And be ready to weld in the ports as needed.
   7.03 @ 196 mph
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2022 at 5:08am
Thats a lot of adjustment work for any new product, and is what I`d heard about them, need a lot of work.

I think a set of "bolt on" Edelbrocks makes more sense for most of us, but love your 1000hp Gremlin.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2022 at 7:17am
If you can get the Eddy heads. And if you can afford them. And I’ve heard they also need work on the factory valve job. 

Jcisworthy has shown you can get a lot of flow out of stock dogleg exhaust port heads and they’re readily available - the best choice for street cars/95% of us are iron heads that have been ported by someone who knows what they’re doing to make very good power. And when done by someone like John, for less $$$ than just the purchase price of the Eddy heads, let alone any additional work they may need. 
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2022 at 5:04pm
Thanks for sharing your information Kevin. There is going to be some welding and surfacing. Should have it back together in a couple weeks. 

Sweatlock 
Thanks for the kind words. The factory heads are very good for the majority of applications with some targeted work and can support great power with more or full porting. Takes a lot of work but I have grown to like making my own shapes. 

The Edelbrock heads are an excellent option but for porting, I feel they missed an opportunity to make better short turns. They did not leave a lot of short turn to work with for some reason. Still a good product and they make good power
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
72gremx401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72gremx401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2022 at 9:16pm
If Edelebrock had made it high flow , would it have compromised those who purchased them for stock replacement ?  such as low end torque .
1972 gremlin x 401
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2022 at 10:32pm
High flow is always good IMO. Camshaft selection can optimize low end torque with a high flow head. It's always a package deal when building an engine for a drivetrain/purpose/budget.
Don't think you can build AMC cast heads any more vs Edelbrock's off the shelf for the same $ unless you can DIY.
Buddy is just having a 401 built with 502's flowing 300 CFM and it's $8500+ and he still needs headers.
Would not build his engine this way for his purpose/drivetrain ... but not my $.
Have learned a lot from John, Ken, Greyhound ... and being a math geek - engines need head flow. Throw everything else you want at them, making a head flow, especially optimizing the intake charge, will work.
Indy's don't seem to be economical, unless building for maximum performance. 

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2022 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

engines need head flow.
Playing devil's advocate here. At what point does this become true? Does porting do anything for a street driven car?
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 3:59am
CFM X 2 = Hp (approx)

Stock 502`s 220cfm  max Hp = 440 (approx)

So if you want 500Hp your going to need more head flow, which is where Edelbrock comes in at 248cfm ( 248 X 2 = 496Hp approx.)

Those requiring over 600Hp will look at Indy heads, which are built for racing. But you`ll need people like John & Kevin to make them work, not really a "bolt on" option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic