TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Kenosha Homecoming 2022 July 26-30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricklin1132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2021 at 3:46pm
It really is a shame that Kenosha backs up into the AMO Show. Yea I am going to Kenosha and cancel my rooms in Michigan. I don't think many will make both and Kenosha is the one to go to. I would imagine the Michigan show at Greenmeade will go on as a AMO small regional show. Just hope they don't loose much money on it. Wonder if they have a big hotel block? If so they won't fill it. It is a really bad conflict.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by bricklin1132 bricklin1132 wrote:

It really is a shame that Kenosha backs up into the AMO Show. Yea I am going to Kenosha and cancel my rooms in Michigan. I don't think many will make both and Kenosha is the one to go to. I would imagine the Michigan show at Greenmeade will go on as a AMO small regional show. Just hope they don't loose much money on it. Wonder if they have a big hotel block? If so they won't fill it. It is a really bad conflict.

So you live in Michigan, and are a part of the Great Lakes club (presumably since you hosted a meeting for them recently), but you aren’t going to attend the Michigan AMO show? Or you are going to both, but now aren’t getting a hotel room? Why would it make any difference since you are basically local?

Everyone says no one will attend both, but I’m not sure what the evidence is that supports that. I’d think two shows further apart geographically would hurt one or the other more. There is a strong number Amc owners in the Midwest. If there was one show this summer on the east coast, I could see a guy from Indiana or Illinois going to that show, but skipping it if there was a Kenosha event. If there is a Kenosha and Michigan event (both a days drive or so) I’d think they would attend both. No one seems to worry about having a Kenosha and the amc races a month later. If Michigan is concerned about being so close could they adjust their dates? I’d think hotels would be happy to have a group coming in after the last year they had and work with any group.

I wonder how many AMO chapters have lost money on national events in the past? (Not really, I know the answer).

Edited by kirkwood - Mar/07/2021 at 8:31pm
AMO Newsletter Editor
AMXAL View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2021 at 9:04pm
I totally agree, less than a days drive to both shows I would go to both....what has me wondering is why would a person who lives approximately a hour away from the Michigan show need to cancel hotel rooms? I would drive to the show and save the money for parts. It wouldn't stop me from attending Kenosha and Michigan. but the logistics are simple 4 hour drive to Kenosha and 1 hour to Michigan show....I just don't understand the thinking behind this. If I didn't know better I would really hate to think some people are trying to make the Michigan show look bad. 
AMO President
Marlin Club Board Member
1974 Javelin AMX, 401
1967 Marlin
1969 Rebel Raider
1985 Renault Alliance Conv
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2021 at 9:47pm
If I was within an hour or two I would go to both.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
luuuucky View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luuuucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2021 at 10:51pm
Let me try to approach this discussion from another angle.
Won't it be nice if an organization such as AMO, with a mission 
statement I will include,  would try to act as a coordinator between the city of Kenosha and their homecoming event planning team and the AMO local chapter
whom have offered to host their (AMO's) national event?

"American Motors Owners Association, Inc., (AMO) is a Wisconsin chartered, non-profit organization, which exists expressly for the purpose of aiding and encouraging the use, enjoyment, preservation, and restoration of vehicles built by American Motors Corporation between 1958 and 1988 modelyears. Ownership of an AMC vehicle is not required for membership in the club."

Seems like it would be the natural and logical thing do.

Yet in this discussion it seems as both the current and former presidents of
AMO think and are saying that it is the local club that is at fault 
for its date and site selection.

The assumption that locals within the Great Lakes region would be more then willing and able to travel to both events is false.

Considering the current economic and public health issues if anything people, even the most hard core enthusiasts, including those who have, and continue  to this day supplement their incomes from their involvement with the AM brand are forced to make a choice.

Also the comparison between an AMO style event and the "AMC Races" event is absurd and meaningless. 
The two events have very different formats and the 
attendees participate because of it.

Plain and simply put, I would like see and encourage the
leadership in AMO to become involved in providing advice 
to the city of Kenosha regarding the timing of their 2022
Homecoming event. In doing so it may well help in persuading people 
to participate in the events and possibly join or re-join a national organization.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2021 at 11:52pm
really folks? Kenosha is a 45-50 hour drive for me! In my case I want them both close so I can hang out with all my car buddies even longer! If I was 4-5 hours away it wouldn't matter....both shows would be a no brainer!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
amxdream View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 7:06am
I suggested the same thing.  have the amo show the week prior, and have a power tour of sorts to kenosha.  

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 8:03am
Originally posted by luuuucky luuuucky wrote:

Yet in this discussion it seems as both the current and former presidents of
AMO think and are saying that it is the local club that is at fault 
for its date and site selection.

The assumption that locals within the Great Lakes region would be more then willing and able to travel to both events is false.

Considering the current economic and public health issues if anything people, even the most hard core enthusiasts, including those who have, and continue  to this day supplement their incomes from their involvement with the AM brand are forced to make a choice.

Also the comparison between an AMO style event and the "AMC Races" event is absurd and meaningless. 
The two events have very different formats and the 
attendees participate because of it.

Plain and simply put, I would like see and encourage the
leadership in AMO to become involved in providing advice 
to the city of Kenosha regarding the timing of their 2022
Homecoming event. In doing so it may well help in persuading people 
to participate in the events and possibly join or re-join a national organization.
</span>

For those unaware of how the process works, local chapters offer to host a show, and submit their plan to AMO typically 2 years in advance of their show date. The club's choose the dates, the location, the hotels, etc. AMO runs the show on Saturday - that is about it. When AMO spoke to the leadership of the Great Lake's Club since the Kenosha announcement they were told everything was fine, nothing to worry about. Now it seems there is a contingent within the club that wants to sabotage the event for the rest of the club who is working hard to put the event on.

The local club is the one who chose the dates and venue (although they have not submitted any of the requested planning items to AMO, so I'm not sure where the location actually is). How is that anyone's else's responsibility? The City of Kenosha does not - and did not - consult with AMO or Michigan on their date. You'd like to see AMO provide advice to Kenosha, but that advice wasn't sought when they made their decision. AMO has made every effort to work with and coordinate with Kenosha in the past (including offering to be a sponsor of the current show whenever it takes place) but they choose to operate independently. I'm not sure what else AMO can do. Kenosha has cancelled the event twice now with no regard for other's planning, so should AMO just keep awaiting their next move? Several other chapters are working on their dates for other years as AMO shows are planned well in advance - should we just start the domino effect and mess up their planning because an external entity made a decision that some disagree with?

Believe it or not, I know one hard core enthusiast in Michigan who in past year, despite the pandemic, made trips to the south, several trips out west (with another member on this thread), attended the event in Kenosha last summer as well as an event in Michigan last fall. He turns up at about any AMC event that takes place it seems. I even know people who aren't members of AMO who attend and participate in the AMO shows each year, so a lot of these straw man allegations don't really hold water.

People make choices about what events they wish to attend every year - there may be competing shows, family events or economic factors taking place that keep them from attending certain events. This timing will certainly mean some people can't attend both events, but as others have noted, will also allow some to attend both who would not have otherwise.
AMO Newsletter Editor
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 12:34pm
Realistically the year that the Homecoming is held the AMO national should not be held regardless of where it is. Seem awfully redundant to have 2 big event lobbying for attendance.

Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 2:29pm
Are you serious? There are more than enough days in a summer to hold more than 1 AMC show. In fact, I wish there were more! 

The local chapters always do a great job on the shows creating things to do during the week leading up to the main show. It's not just one day just like Kenosha isn't just one day. 

My suggestion to support our hobby is make as many events as possible. That's the only way our hobby will survive.  Make sure you thank the organizers and help any way you can to make each event as good as it can be. It's very rewarding being part of a solution instead of part of the problem! 

There is nothing worse than someone who doesn't do anything at an event that takes a LOT of effort and all they do is complain during and after. 

I'll drive 1000's of miles to have the laughs until early in the morning with people sharing a common interest from all over the US and Canada.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic