TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just bought a mystery 401! Need opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

It is a 1977 block. 

That intake manifold weighs about 75 lbs.

And it's carb base fits nothing but the original Motorcraft carb.
Yes it was extremely heavy, I was thinking about using it on my Jeep J10 with a 360 2 bbl.. could I get an adapter to run a edelbrock carb? And is a 1977 block good or bad and is it designated by the "7" in the lifter valley? Thanks.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 4:37pm
All 401 blocks are essentially the same block.
The 77 year was just as good as any of the prior years and I want to say one year before production of 401 engines ceased. I believe 78 was the last year a 401 was manufactured.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 5:42pm
Junk the intake.

Your block was cast by AMC in Canada.

Earlier blocks were cast by GM "CFD".

Some say the CFD was better....

I will guess that the difference means little.
Gremlin Dreams
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 5:48pm
I no longer have a hot rod, but have a bunch of Holley stuff, including a couple Spreadbore to Square Flange Aluminum Adapters, maybe a 1-Hole and a 4-Hole.  But I fail to remember if the AutoLite Spreadbore is unique to itself or if it is the same as a GM / Chev Spreadbore...   On a different note, if considering an upgrade to the stock bridged rockers, Scorpion used to offer a bolt-on Roller Rocker kit for the AMC Bridged Rocker Heads that requires no machining iirc.  You may be just in time to pre-order one of the yet introduced NEW Design Edelbrock AMC Intake Manifolds, but it may still be to far out in availability, if so find yourself and Edelbrock AMC Torker Intake...  I share your excitement... a newly acquired 401 just begging for some "love"... LOL  
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

I no longer have a hot rod, but have a bunch of Holley stuff, including a couple Spreadbore to Square Flange Aluminum Adapters, maybe a 1-Hole and a 4-Hole.  But I fail to remember if the AutoLite Spreadbore is unique to itself or if it is the same as a GM / Chev Spreadbore...   On a different note, if considering an upgrade to the stock bridged rockers, Scorpion used to offer a bolt-on Roller Rocker kit for the AMC Bridged Rocker Heads that requires no machining iirc.  You may be just in time to pre-order one of the yet introduced NEW Design Edelbrock AMC Intake Manifolds, but it may still be to far out in availability, if so find yourself and Edelbrock AMC Torker Intake...  I share your excitement... a newly acquired 401 just begging for some "love"... LOL  
Autolite spreadbore is different from GM/Rochester.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 8:28am
I thought the Autolite carb used a Holley bolt pattern? Of course spread bore carb would only fit on an intake with one large opening...
Frank Swygert
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I thought the Autolite carb used a Holley bolt pattern? Of course spread bore carb would only fit on an intake with one large opening...
Autolite for AMC changed the bolt pattern in 1975, I believe.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Oct/26/2018 at 8:39am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 7:04pm
Does this here picture seem to show that an AutoLite AMC Spreadbore Carb Bolt Pattern
is the same as a Holley Square Flange Carb Bolt Pattern but different Butterfly holes
where a QuadraJet Spreadbore has that AND also a different Mounting Flange Bolt Hole pattern ?
If that IS the case, the adapters I have, (1) 4-Hole & (1) 1-Hole would / should / "might" work...
Lookin' at 2nd pic, guess not, small primary bores are closer together on the AutoLite than the QuadraJet...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/26/2018 at 7:14pm
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 7:23pm
I think i have a spreadbore to squarebore adapter already somewhere so I'll try to find it and see if it works, but that doesn't sound likely... I tore down the engine a bit further. and unfortunately the pistons are .030 over already, so I'm not sure it can be rebuilt or not but the cylinder walls on this side look ok, I'm probably just going to keep tearing it down and take it to a shop to have it inspected and go from there... what do you guys think?

I tried to get a reading with my caliper, not sure how close the readings were but I was getting between 4.180-4.190 per cylinder... shouldn't it be 4.195 at 30 over? Also I couldn't really feel any kind of noticeable ridge with my nail at the top of the bore... cross hatching looks ok so far, do you guys think the 30 over rebuild didn't hace many miles on it before the last guy tore it down and re-ringed it and honed it? Honestly guys I've done some work before but I'm no expert on machine work and blok specs. so your opinions would help. Thanks.

Edited by JolleyGreenSST - Oct/26/2018 at 7:30pm
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Does this here picture seem to show that an AutoLite AMC Spreadbore Carb Bolt Pattern
is the same as a Holley Square Flange Carb Bolt Pattern but different Butterfly holes
where a QuadraJet Spreadbore has that AND also a different Mounting Flange Bolt Hole pattern ?
If that IS the case, the adapters I have, (1) 4-Hole & (1) 1-Hole would / should / "might" work...
Lookin' at 2nd pic, guess not, small primary bores are closer together on the AutoLite than the QuadraJet...
Yeah that looks pretty different... but I have a performer and a torker manifold, the only reason I'm not going with the torker is because I dont want the power level that high with the stock 998 trans.. I was thinking of using the torker on the javelin and the performer on the J10 but my J10 runs pretty good even with the 2bbl and I don't want to swap the trans on the javelin any time soon because the engine is already going to cost me some change so I'm hoping the trans is good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic