TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just bought a mystery 401! Need opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

304 has a 998 heaver version of the 904  what are the plans for the 401 ? small upgrade from stock ? or all out monster ?  a 998 will live behind a 401 if it is stock of a little beefier put a after market trans cooler for sure need to find a flex plate for a 401 to run  torqueflite trans 
Nothing crazy, just a performer intake small cam, and maybe higher compression pisons depending on the condition of the cylinder walls after I take it apart. I'd rather not have to replace the trans if at all possible right now and if I did, then I would like to use the AW4 transmission with OD. But right now focus will be on the engine and getting it running.

Edited by JolleyGreenSST - Oct/26/2018 at 7:40pm
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 11:18pm
ok, was just thinking Distributor's part number and date codes my give clues to what 401 it is...
Bridged or Stud Mount Rockers under those Valve Covers ?
1974 would be Bridged Rockers I'm pretty sure...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/22/2018 at 11:21pm
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 3:34am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

ok, was just thinking Distributor's part number and date codes my give clues to what 401 it is...
Bridged or Stud Mount Rockers under those Valve Covers ?
1974 would be Bridged Rockers I'm pretty sure...
I will pull the valve covers and check tomorrow.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 10:15am
Ok, so wonder if they "rebuilt it", used an aftermarket Distributor, and it ate the Distributor Drive Gears?...  Maybe use a Flashlight, remove the Fuel Pump, and look through the Pump Hole to inspect the Distributor Drive Gear on the Camshaft Snout...
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 10:39am
No matter what, it was a steel.
Gremlin Dreams
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Ok, so wonder if they "rebuilt it", used an aftermarket Distributor, and it ate the Distributor Drive Gears?...  Maybe use a Flashlight, remove the Fuel Pump, and look through the Pump Hole to inspect the Distributor Drive Gear on the Camshaft Snout...
I got it out of my truck and onto a stand yesterday, so I will be starting to tear it down today... I will post pics with updates. What exactly causes that distributor gear problem and how do I avoid it for future reference?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 9:51pm

20181023_183105 by David Cruz, on Flickr

So it looks pretty good inside and it had new intake and valve cover gaskets (I tried to be careful with the valley pan so I can reuse it if possible), so that gives me some hope that the guy was honest... I guess we'll see once I pull the heads and pan off to see whats lurking inside. So tell me what the codes in the lifter valley mean if anything? Also are the 502 bridged rockers a good headand should i keep the bridged rockers? I already have a set of rebuilt 502's that I got for $200 so if anything I will swap these with those and reuse the rockers from these. Thanks guys!

Edited by JolleyGreenSST - Oct/23/2018 at 10:01pm
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 9:59pm
I look in the exhaust ports to see if oil has leaked through the seals - I also put a starter on it, pull the plugs, and compression test it.  If good, even compression, let her fly!  Good luck.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by easydean easydean wrote:

I look in the exhaust ports to see if oil has leaked through the seals - I also put a starter on it, pull the plugs, and compression test it.  If good, even compression, let her fly!  Good luck.
I already have a set of 502's that have had a valve job done already I got for cheap. So if anything its not worth it for me to cheap out at this point to save some gaskets, I still want to inspect the crank and rod bearings as well as the cylinder walls... of course I'm hoping everything looks good and I can slap it all back together and run it as is. But it's not worth the labor and time for me to take a chance when it's so easy to check it all while I have it on the stand.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 10:06am
It is a 1977 block. 

That intake manifold weighs about 75 lbs.

And it's carb base fits nothing but the original Motorcraft carb.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic