TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just bought a mystery 401! Need opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a mystery 401! Need opinions?
    Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 3:29am
Hey guys I just bought a mystery 401! So I'm guessing you want to know what I mean by mystery 401?
Well I bought a 401 engine this past week and I'm really not sure what I got... I drove over 2 hours to San Diego and bought a 401 engine that I was told is out of a 74 Cherokee (casting number 3198951)
I was told it was rebuilt, but when I got there rebuilt, meant it was honed, and had new rings and bearings installed with no machine work. So to be honest I don't trust anything I was told and will tear it down in a few days to see what I got? I'm hoping it's standard bore. But I couldn't pass on it for $900 and the guy threw in some headers and stuff that will work on my Jeep J10. As of right now it's still sitting in the back of my Silverado (I have a camper shell) waiting for me to clean a space out in my garage so I can unload it.
Once I get it on a stand and start tearing it down, that's where I'll need some advice on what I'm looking for and anything specific I should be concerned with? I will update and post pics as I go.
But for now, what do you guys think? I thought it was worth the chance imho.

"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 6:02am
Good find! At least it was (supposedly?) a running engine, so even if worn everything should still be useable... good rebuildable core. With any luck the worst thing you'll have to do is go to an oversize piston. 
Frank Swygert
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 8:25am
It has a TH400 flex plate which means that if you are going to run a 904 or 727 you need to pull the spacer ring out of the back of the crank.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 12:28pm
Good price for a long block 401. I'd send a scope through the spark plug hole to see if there is a piston size stamped on the piston and go from there. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

It has a TH400 flex plate which means that if you are going to run a 904 or 727 you need to pull the spacer ring out of the back of the crank.

Thanks, this is the kind of info that I'm Definetley going to need help with... aren't all of the AMC TH400's made for 4wd transfer cases to be bolted to the back, so I couldn't use one anyway right?
Also I have a 304 in the car now, so it must be a 904 behind it, will that hold up to a 401? Thanks.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Good price for a long block 401. I'd send a scope through the spark plug hole to see if there is a piston size stamped on the piston and go from there. 

I already did that, but it was dark and raining when I bought it so I only checked a couple cylinders and they had to much carbon to read anything on top of the piston.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Good find! At least it was (supposedly?) a running engine, so even if worn everything should still be useable... good rebuildable core. With any luck the worst thing you'll have to do is go to an oversize piston. 

That's what I'm hoping for.. 🤞
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 12:51pm
304 has a 998 heaver version of the 904  what are the plans for the 401 ? small upgrade from stock ? or all out monster ?  a 998 will live behind a 401 if it is stock of a little beefier put a after market trans cooler for sure need to find a flex plate for a 401 to run  torqueflite trans 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 5:05pm
Did it come with a Distributor?  The original Distributor?  What are the Numbers stamped on the Distributor?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:26pm
No distributor came with it.
I will probably reuse the original from my 304.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic