TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just Another 70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2020 at 8:39am

Is the Dynamat removable or does it stick for life?

J
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2020 at 9:30am
It’s butyl rubber, like the stuff to secure windshields. So I’m guessing it could be removed, but it would be a huge undertaking, similar to removing undercoating. 

I view it as a permanent thing. 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2020 at 8:10am
Nice project and tremendous effort just to get it home!!! Next time I am out that way I would love to stop in and see it since I am now up in Watertown.

Jersey Joe
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2020 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

Nice project and tremendous effort just to get it home!!! Next time I am out that way I would love to stop in and see it since I am now up in Watertown.

Jersey Joe

Absolutely.  Same if I ever make it up your way, love to see your car.  Its just tough having an unheated garage, trying to keep busy working on interior bits and small parts.  But, its all good.

Mike

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 7:49pm
Nice project. 

With regards to the original 4-piston calipers, there are only two issues with them: 
1.) The cast iron bores get pitted over time and they leak. 
2.) They have to be shimmed, which is a PITA 

Other than that they work - I feel they work better than many modern cars I’ve driven and certainly better than the later sliding caliper design, which has its own issue (they stick). Get stainless steel sleeves properly installed and the earlier 4-piston calipers will never leak again. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2021 at 2:39pm
  Well, it got into the 40's today, so I spent a few hours in the garage again.  The last few weeks I cleaned and rebuilt the brake valves (with the muscle car restorations kit).  I finished up the booster install and mocked up the master cylinder and brake lines.  I bought a stainless kit from Classic Tube (they are local to me), but I had a feeling that some bends would need to be adjusted.  I also got to use some of the parts from the engine detailing kit from Ross (401MATCOUPE), which is super helpful.
  It felt good to get out there and do a little bit (and get more stuff out of the basement and on the car.  And it also felt good to get most of the ice off of the driveway.  Hopefully the weather will continue to cooperate and I can continue to work on stuff.

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2021 at 2:41pm
Over the last month or two I also got the heater box cleaned up and put together with new seals and heater core, and finished mounting the pedals.

Little stuff, but slowly moving forward.

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2021 at 11:46am
Looks good! Are you going with the stock style firewall insulation also? If so, I believe it goes behind the heater box.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Looks good! Are you going with the stock style firewall insulation also? If so, I believe it goes behind the heater box.

No, I am not using the stock type padding on the firewall.  I will probably use it under the carpet, but I’m not 100%. 

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2021 at 2:39pm
I would highly suggest putting some sort of heat barrier on that firewall because it gets blasted with engine heat and will transfer heat into the cabin. That Dynomat isn't going to much of anything for heat. Something like this will keep the heat out https://www.designengineering.com/under-carpet-lite-sound-absorbtion-insulation/ You can buy it all over if you search for it.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic