TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just Another 70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Another 70 AMX
    Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 7:45pm
I've been wanting to do this for a while, but better late than never.

I saw the ad for this AMX on the forum.  After chatting with the owner, decided to fly to florida with a buddy.  We rented a suburban, a u-haul car transporter, and drove from West Palm to Buffalo in less than 24 hours.  April 2019.

Learned quickly that the car had lower quarters and floor pan sections installed (poorly) and there was some bondo repairs hidden in the old black paint.  The 390 had the right numbers, but the heads were a different color blue than the block.  Pistons and rods were in a box in the trunk.  Not ideal, but the car is very solid underneath and appears to not be molested.  No crash damage.  Made a deal and picked up a bunch of nice parts that the owner had accumulated.

Fell in love with that black hood scoop in the rear view all the way home.

Made it home in one piece, averaged over 14 mpg on the way home.  Got her unloaded and got a good night sleep.

Edited by mbwicz - Nov/15/2020 at 6:43am
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 7:55pm
We confirmed that the VIN on the dash matched the door label, and the door tag made sense as well.  December 1969 build, 390, 4 speed, power brakes (single piston), power steering, no A/C.  Matador red, black leather interior.

The car was raced previously (454 was lettered on the hood scoop), and the trans tunnel was cut out for a swap.  I learned after a few weeks that the car was originally from northern California, then went to Arizona, then to Florida, then to Buffalo.

I started taking the car apart, the goal was to get it disassembled, blasted, and primed before winter.

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 8:07pm

The car was put together with mismatched parts, but it seems like everything is serviceable.  The block is rusty, but stock bore.  The heads look virgin (no porting or obvious repairs).  The trans is a 2.64 first gear unit with a super competition (aftermarket) shifter unit.  My limited research says that this trans should not be behind a 390 from the factory.
  I also found that the model 20 rear seemed original to the car, no evidence of swapping out the springs, torque links or axle.  Air shocks were installed at one point in the car's life.  I found the stamped letter 'D' near the cover, which matched what I learned by hand:  this was a 3.91 axle with limited slip.  

1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 5:05am
is the orignial paint dull red because of age or a dull pink?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 6:36am
Most of the car was stripped when they painted it black. The jambs and engine compartment were the only places that had much red.  It looked to be matador red.

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 6:55am
some of the 'mods' over the years.  Oversized shifter hole, slotted motor mount holes in the engine crossmember.  But still no evidence of crash damage or structural rust.  But the sandblaster shows the entire story.

I tore down the car, stripped off the undercoating, and hung tarps in the garage to make a sandblast booth.  What a mess.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 7:08am
The sandblasting revealed a couple of small issues in the floor pan at the rocker panel, but generally the floors were nice.  Some holes needed to be filled in the trunk where they relocated the battery.  Most of the seam sealer was in place but cracked.  I scraped out what I could using torches, scrapers, picks, and wire brushes.  All standard stuff. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 7:19am
Some extra lumps in the tunnel for previous engine/trans installations.

jacking points were used ahead of the front spring eye, some damage to the rocker where the jack was used on that as well.

Got inside and underneath floors blasted.  What a mess.  I removed the front suspension and made a cart attaching to the front crossmember mount and spring shackle mount.

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 7:32am
The engine compartment blasting didn't show up any surprises except a cracked weld where the trough attaches to the cowl
.  The upper rail on the rocker support was damaged from engine install/removal, and some extra bolt holes were drilled in the sheet metal for accessories.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2020 at 7:34am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic