TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Junkyard 343 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 12:14pm
Well i mean if you want a keepsake. I could give you a piece of the car
HFD Helmet #33
'68 AMC Ambassador SST. always looking for parts and cool stories. In dire need of a manual trans.
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 3:11pm
BIG UPDATE. after running the vin i found out this DPL ambassador has a Q code engine! (High output high comp 343) I don't know if that means it has flat top Pistons or a thinner gasket. But still. This engine willbe great for what i have in mind. -more on that later.
HFD Helmet #33
'68 AMC Ambassador SST. always looking for parts and cool stories. In dire need of a manual trans.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 3:58pm
Its the pistons.
It was a high comp engine 55 years ago when the rings and valves sealed. 

Edited by Heavy 488 - Aug/13/2022 at 4:02pm
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 4:29pm
Like Heavy said, it's the pistons. The only difference between the 2 barrel and 4 barrel version was the pistons. Needless to say, the intake and carb were different.
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 5:01pm
Are the Pistons like flat tops or do they have some sort of shape?
HFD Helmet #33
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Skwishy Skwishy wrote:

Are the Pistons like flat tops or do they have some sort of shape?
www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=186633

Scroll down just a bit and there will be a picture.
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 12:16pm
Please remember they are “cast” pistons that are 55 yrs old.  Back in 1975 I watched my cousin flog on his 70 AMX street racing and the piston lands broke multiple times, and they were 5 year old pistons.  Cast aren’t heavy duty.  
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2022 at 4:49pm
The project continues

Here is the more or less final form of this engine before being placed into its new home. 

Yes that is a mod man manifold and i have a 2x4 plate with two Edelbrock 500s on top. The plenum is large and might offer good low end torque. But I know that power will be low. Thats fine, I don't intend to torture this engine. Just make it look cool 😎. Ive always wanted the dual carb setup on a ride! its also the only intake I have. It would not fit with the rubber seals so I used RTV instead
HFD Helmet #33
devildog80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devildog80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2022 at 5:22pm
Copper....like a shiny new penny :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150, 727, ST NP229, AMC 20 Rear - D44 Front - WT 3.31
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2022 at 5:37pm
Thanks!!! I dont think this color matches OEM copper but it looks nice I think

Edited by Skwishy - Sep/02/2022 at 5:39pm
HFD Helmet #33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic